Gibson Brands Forums

ES-335 Natural - Which One

soundjunkie

[thumbup] I'm already planning how to spend my tax return money. I'm looking for a current issue 335 that doesn't have the slim profile neck but also doesn't have the old baseball bat profile neck. Also would line a natural finish without all the fancy flame figuring. Does such a 335 exist currently? I tried a VOS historic that seemed pretty cool, do they come in natural finish?

Is the medium profile harder to find? This makes no sense to me, as you would think it's the most comfortable for the most players. My ES-345 has the slim profile, which is OK, but not as nice as medium. I, too, dislike "baseball bat" necks - that's my least favorite profile.

Anyway, good luck, sorry I can't provide an answer.

Is the medium profile harder to find? This makes no sense to me, as you would think it's the most comfortable for the most players. My ES-345 has the slim profile, which is OK, but not as nice as medium. I, too, dislike "baseball bat" necks - that's my least favorite profile.

Anyway, good luck, sorry I can't provide an answer.

I've been away from Gibson's until recently, so I don't understand their neck carve nomenclature. Perhaps someone can direct me to an explanation of the different carves. All I know is I don't care for the 60's slim profile neck that is standard on the Dot 335-s. It feels like a strat neck to me. The neck on my 135 is I believe a '59 profile, which feels better, but it approaches the baseball bat I also don't care for.

FWIW -

I have an '06 natural finish 335 with what I would consider to be a medium sized neck profile.

It's truly different from any of my other Gibsons, and quite comfortable.

You might want to see if you can locate an '06 to try out.

I'm no expert on the various necks but I got my Joe Bonamassa 335 two days ago and can't put it down. The neck is perfect (for me) and the tone is just amazing. Worth a look?

Oh, it isn't natural though as it has a vintage sunburst finish.

Archived