Gibson Brands Forums

Need advise on this Les Paul 2008 Standard

d2_racing

Hello and welcome to the Forums, D2_racing!

I can't see any suspicious marks there. The stopbar stud have been sprayed over with laquer - little accident, that's it.

More pictures would tell more about the guitar.

Cheers... Bence

the serial number would indicate it's a 2007, not a 2008..

the first and fifth numbers are the year.

The second, third, and fourth numbers are the Julian date, (for example, 001 wound be Jan 1st. 365 would be dec. 31st.)

you can learn more about that here:

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/ProductSpotlight/GearAndInstruments/Gibson%20Serial%20Numbers/

• 2 weeks later...

Besides the locking Grovers, the '08 Standard should have an asymmetrical neck,

a Neutrik jack, an AA flame, be chambered and have a truss rod cover

stamped 'Standard'.

As stated prior the 'Standard' you are looking at was built in April 2007.

Also agree that more pics would help. Neck, fretboard, body and front of headstock.

I would want to see more pictures. I also just picked up a 2008 series Standard made in 2010. Like some on here have posted locking Grover tuners, asymmetrical neck, Burstbucker Pro pickups on mine, neutrik locking jack. Pro Tone locking stopbar and Tuneomatic bridge. It could be made in 2008 before the 2008 series started but, it would be best to see more photos and, I'm sure many here would chime in, specially those of us that have one. You could also get a hold of Gibson on the phone and, ask them about that serial number. They could email you information on it.

Agree with JAC. This could be an early 2008 IF they started produciton in 2007. So...

call or e-mail Gibson and ask when production actually started on the 2008 Standard.

I do remember one difference from the early 2008 and the later 2008s. The early 2008's had

custom made gold-plated Bourns-designed pots. For reference my 2008, built in February 2009,

does have the gold-plated Bourns. Not exactly sure when Gibson decided to replace the pots.

I believe it was in the year 2010 that the gold-plated pots were replaced with more common pots.

Again, another question to ask Gibson support.

Ah, love a good mystery.

You may have an older Standard. Which could be cool. Keep us updated.

Archived