Gibson Brands Forums

P90's

Naradien

Hey guys, Everyone seems to be raving about p90 pickups.. Whats great about them? I'm thinkin of doin a pickup swap for my guitar, so what would you reccomend. I currently have burstbucker pros I think.. I'm looking for an agressive, heavy tone. Thanks ~~

They're single-coils.

A much warmer tone, like a Strat but miles better, and they dirty up like an old-school fuzzy rock machine from hell.

You're looking for a metal or hard rock tone? Stick with the humbuckers, you won't find what you're looking for with P-90s.

Well I'll start saying I love the sound of P-90s, it's honey sweet and when you push em over the line they have a beautiful growl--they may be the greatest single coil pick up ever. But for you, a man looking for an aggressive/heavy tone, you may be inclined toward a hotter set of humbuckers. I'd say some of Gibson's ceramic humbuckers (496R & 500T) or I've heard the Angus Young Humbuckers are heavy. However I myself would go through and put a pair of P-94s in it (p-90 in a humbucker sized housing), I have them in one of mine and they are great, I love em for blues but they can probably handle anything with the right set-up

P90's are a bit more dynamic IMO. They can be a bit bright especially if the amp is set for humbuckers, but with the right tweaks they sing.

But I must agree with the earlier posts, I don't think you'll find what your looking for in P90's being they are singlecoils they certainly are noisier than humbuckers, and won't be as controlled when playing with loads of distortion.

They have the bite of a single coil' date=' but with a bit of the warmth and punch of a double.[/quote']
P90's are a bit more dynamic IMO.

That's it in a nutshell right there. As the other guys noted, you're probably better off sticking to humbuckers for heavier tones although you can still do it with P90s.

Archived