Gibson Brands Forums

New Guitar Day!!!

Twiz

Thanks again for the kind words, and confirming that the black pick guard was the way to go. Besides my white V, I think this is the prettiest guitar I have. I'm going to try to do a demo vid this weekend.

Twiz...

Ignore this suggestion if you will, but ... If I had a tele with a neck radius I was comfortable with <grin>, I'd first be messing with the standard volume knob as a "volume pedal" a la Roy Buchanan.

I think the advantage to the "sticking up cylinder" knob may be that on the tele it may make the pinkie finger work a bit easier. OTOH, that buddy/bandmate of mine years ago did well enough on a Jazzmaster body using the witch hats for the same purpose - but the guitar shapes may be enough different to make one or the other more appropriate.

Just a thought.

m

Thanks Milo, that's a great point. I think the stock Telecaster knobs are like that for the exact reason you mentioned. Me, I'm a 'volume on 10' player. Perhaps this will encourage me to experiment more with dynamics and sounds? :-k I was thinking witch hats because there's not a lot of room to get a finger between the pickup switch and the volume knob. I think I'll just leave it how it is for now...

Twiz...

Yeah, I think I'd leave as is a while. The Tele with use of that volume control can have some wild, wild variations on attack and decay that... well, listen to some of Roy's stuff.

In fact, my major objection to the "Gibson style" is that it doesn't have a master volume you can grab hold of during a performance as one can on the Tele. <grin> That's why I kept a volume pedal for the day I might end up doing ensemble work of whatever style where I'd feel comfortable playing with attack/decay.

Today's rock to me, what little I hear while TV channel surfing, sometimes lacks the dynamics you're mentioning - and I know you definitely have the talent to put new tools to work in your music your own way to make it ... special.

m

Congratulations! MIM Teles are great! It is also a good opportunity for me to show mine (again) with it's fellow pioneer guitar, the Les Paul Goldtop:

HPIM2895.jpg

Cheers... Bence

That's sweet man. Did you flip the control plate, or did you get it like that? I think that's a cool idea.

The only other thing I might change would be the knobs to the amplifier-style witch hats. I know that's sacrilegious to some Tele purists, but I like how they look on my '72 Deluxe Reissue. Besides, I can always change 'em back!

BLASPHEMER!!

LOL!

dude, it's yer tele, put what ever you like on that bad boy.

I had one that was very similar, but I eventually offed it.

Only to realize, that was dumb, gotta have a tele.. so now I have this one (USA made Standard bought in 1998ish),

plan to keep it forever

1998Telecaster-sm_zpsdd628b7f.jpg

That's sweet man. Did you flip the control plate...?

Hello! No, I didn`t! It came like this. Danny Gatton-style control panel. It's a 2010 FSR Tele BSB. But actually I did mod it. It has a 4-way switch and the volume pot is a push-pull for OOP.

Cheers... Bence

Archived