Gibson Brands Forums

New Guitar Day!!!

Twiz

New guitar day! It's a made in Mexico Standard Telecaster. I just picked it up a couple hours ago. Originally it had a white pick guard, but I didn't like the look of that, so I got a black one. Now I think it really looks sweet. I know the rule... photos or it didn't happen, so here are a couple. It's a typical Pittsburgh day (crappy) weather-wise, so I am stuck inside. Sometime in the spring I'll do some nicer outside shots. I picked this one because the tiny birds-eyes in the wood coming through the sunburst. It was kinda hard to get in a photo. Anyway, here are a couple photos. I'm going to go jam!

Tele_3488_zpsd7daea85.jpg

Tele_3539_zpseb9ee815.jpg

Thanks guys. This is my first guitar with single coils. Holy crap, it really sings through my little Vox with the Russian Big Muff Pi. Its such a fun guitar to play! I almost got another '72 Deluxe Reissue Tele. I'm glad I went outside of my guitar comfort zone. Haha.

If it plays as good as it looks, you've a real winner.

As for the pickguard... normally I'm not into switching stuff but in this case I think it is far better looking than white would have been.

Corngrats!

m

Congrats on getting such a classic,iconic guitar.I have an MIM Tele too and I just love it,don't fall for the urban myth that you must swap the pups because it's all BS.The pickups on the MIM Teles are great in their own right and can create just as much spank and icepick trebles as their American Standard counterparts.I know that you'll have many years of enjoyment with that puppy.

BTW I have a new pickguard on order for my Tele too but it's an optical illusion one made by Greasy Groove.

HA...that's one crazy place. Went there with son last summer. The coffee shop just up the street (about 100 yds) is excellent!

Haha. I stopped there for a cup of coffee before I went to pick up my guitar. Pianos n Stuff rules. I got my SG Standard there in 1994 and I've been going there ever since. I like Pittsburgh Guitars too on the south side.

...I have an MIM Tele too and I just love it,don't fall for the urban myth that you must swap the pups because it's all BS.The pickups on the MIM Teles are great in their own right and can create just as much spank and icepick trebles as their American Standard counterparts.I know that you'll have many years of enjoyment with that puppy.

Yea, I like the pickups. I don't have anything to compare them to since this is my first single coil guitar. They sound ok to me anyway. The only other thing I might change would be the knobs to the amplifier-style witch hats. I know that's sacrilegious to some Tele purists, but I like how they look on my '72 Deluxe Reissue. Besides, I can always change 'em back!

New. I picked it up today at Pianos n Stuff. (Cookie will know what I'm talking about since he's from Pittsburgh too).

Had a mim burst Tele myself a few years back but sold it once I bought my 52 RI. Actually sold it for $25 more than I bought it for used.

Like you I went with the black guard. The birdseye on yours looks great.

IMG_0642-2-1.jpg

I'm going to go with everyone else and say the black 'guard was a great thought.

Very Classy all-round!

[thumbup]

And, as I'm sure you'll already know, Muddy Waters had 'Witch-hats' on his Tele. If they were good enough for him......

[wink]

P.

Guest Farnsbarns

One of the nicest looking teles I've seen. I don't like black plastic on an LP but I can see that it was the only way to go on that.

Hngd

Archived