Gibson Brands Forums

NGD: Epiphone Dot Limited Edition VS

rocknpop

Just picked up a very special (and rare) Epiphone Dot Limited Edition Dot.

I will premise this short write-up by saying that I used to own a Gibson ES-335 and sold it. I was looking for a less expensive guitar to fill in the gap. After trying and learning about a lot of semi hollow options in my price range (from Ibanez, Washburn, Gretsch, Hamer, Hangstrong, and Eastman). This was the winner.

Tone

I will start with tone because I am beyond impressed that this guitar sounds SO good. Both, the neck pickup and the bridge sound really amazing. The neck is so round and jazzy when the tone is rolled down between 0-3, then it has a subtle attack that is just perfect around 4-6, and 7-9 it sounds really nice. The crispness it has at 10 blew me away - just as good or better than a 335. As far as the bridge pickup goes, it has a very powerful voice, sharp and rock and roll when you want it and beautiful harmonics for when they are needed.

Action and Playability

The action is low and buzz free. Plays really nice all over the neck. Has a bone nut that helps it resonate a little more than what I tried.

Specifications and Modifications

Alright, so this is clearly not a typical Epi Dot. These are some of the things that are different:

- Wolfetone PAF/Marshallhead MKII pickups

- RS wiring kit

- Bumble Bee caps

- CTS pots

- Upgraded wiring

- Flamed maple body

- Block inlays

- Epiphone hardshell case

- The neck is slightly thicker than the typical D profile ES neck

EpiphoneDot1of9_zps9f085057.jpg

EpiphoneDot2of9_zps2eec5e1d.jpg

EpiphoneDot3of9_zpsa6d53c48.jpg