Gibson Brands Forums

RIP Alvin Lee

Don335

Sad News. He was the master of the 335 and one of my favorites. I'll never forget the first time I saw the Woodstock movie. Ten Years After came on the screen and played "I'm goin' home" and I was completely blown away. I wished the song would never end. I think I was about 15 at the time and it was one of the defining moments that wanted to make me a better guitar player. It also showed me that fast, wailing leads could be done with a semi-hollow and started my love for ES guitars.

Alvin was a lot more than just fast. He could also be very melodic. Here's a cut that fits well today and is a fiiting tribute to a great musical life. It's from Alvin Lee & Company "In Flight" a live album from 1975, called "Freedom for the Stallion". It's an instrumental and Alvin does a great interlude with the wonderful sax player, Mel Collins.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV5kt2cUbJw

Rest in peace Alvin. The world of music is a better place becuase you were in it.

The great guitarist Alvin Lee has passed.

RIP Alvin Lee

Don335 [sad]

When 'Going Home' came out .. the Woodstock version .. I embarked on trying to learn it because all the guys in the band wanted to play it. I failed ](*,) . The guy was too f'n fast and this 17 year old couldn't do it. Alvin Lee humbled me to pieces. Now, at 60, I can play and sing it quite well on my 335 but the old bastards in the band (my age) can't! I only wish it was the same guys back from '69 so I could rub it in their faces [flapper] .

RIP Mr. LEE and, Thank You!

Archived