Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Artisan - Bad Time to Sell ?

Dennis D near Milwaukee

I am trying to gauge interest in the market for a clean '77 Les Paul Artisan. I made the trip to a local dealer, and got a cash offer as though LP Artisans are everywhere. I was told the latest Ebay sales figures, and offered a little over half those amounts. Are dealers buying these days, but 'not really' ??

I tried to attach a photo, but couldn't.

Thanks

Guest Farnsbarns

I am trying to gauge interest in the market for a clean '77 Les Paul Artisan. I made the trip to a local dealer, and got a cash offer as though LP Artisans are everywhere. I was told the latest Ebay sales figures, and offered a little over half those amounts. Are dealers buying these days, but 'not really' ??

I tried to attach a photo, but couldn't.

Thanks

You can check the eBay prices yourself. Ignore asking prices, you're looking only for completed sales. A dealer will obviously offer you half. Far better to sell privately.

What are you looking to get for it?

Looking at completed listings on fleaBay the sold prices range from $3250 to $4214 $4000 ( http://www.ebay.com/csc/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=gibson+les+paul+artisan&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc ) . . . . . . . . . <edit - thanks Larry>

A dealer won't offer top dollar, they have to make a profit. You might be better off selling it yourself. Good luck to you.

<edit> Oops, right on top of Farns' post. . Well, we're both saying the same thing.

these guys are dead on -- a dealer will hose you,, the more they hose you, the more they make when they put their hang tags on it and boast the heritage of the guitar.

For you they'll jusy say -- "oh yes, a pretty nice les paul... but they're a dime a dozen for us.."

Get an eBay account if you don't have one so you can see ended auctions as farnsy says,, then -- Sell it yourself..

If you have a friend with good history/feedback, have them list it, and pay them the listing / paypal fees

IME, you'll be more apt to get your asking price the more positive feedback the seller has, especially when the asking price is potentially lurking in the $3/4K ranges.

Looking at completed listings on fleaBay the sold prices range from $3250 to $4214 ( http://www.ebay.com/csc/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=gibson+les+paul+artisan&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc )

A dealer won't offer top dollar, they have to make a profit. You might be better off selling it yourself. Good luck to you.

He said he checked, and his top dollar amount for completed sales was $3500. That $4200 amount must've slipped his mind. ( ?? ) I have no problem with anyone having to make a buck. Bottom line, I'd have thought real hard if he'd have been around $3000. cash, but he wasn't.

What I can't seem to understand is there have never been any to buy around here. When I took it out to show him, his own salespeople had never seen one. Guess that doesn't matter.

And, 50% mark-up on zero, is zero.

Anyway, sincerely, thanks for the help and suggestions.

you're only hope would be a dealer you also were in tight with.

you could try consignment if you were really hard up to dump it, but I have never cozy'd up to that idea.

You'll get a wider market of buyers on ebay anyway..

Looking at completed listings on fleaBay the sold prices range from $3250 to $4214

This is incorrect information.

One DID NOT sell at $4214. It sold at "best offer accepted", the actual amount of which is NOT published after the sale.

Here's a thought - you could post it right here in The Trading Post subforum and see if you get any interested responses. It's definitely a cool and interesting LP.

To post pics, get a Photobucket account - they're free. Upload your pics there. Then copy the pic's "direct link" into the "Insert image" tool in this forum's Post editor. Here's instructions - http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/11005-sticky-how-to-post-photos/

Here's a thought - you could post it right here in The Trading Post subforum and see if you get any interested responses. It's definitely a cool and interesting LP.

To post pics, get a Photobucket account - they're free. Upload your pics there. Then copy the pic's "direct link" into the "Insert image" tool in this forum's Post editor. Here's instructions - http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/11005-sticky-how-to-post-photos/

Thanks again. I may try that.

I just decided to maybe replace it with a certain Gibson Nick Lucas reissue I saw. I don't have to dump it, but if I do decide to sell it, and that means I'm going to take a hit, then ok, let's at least find it a home where it's appreciated.

Thanks again.

Dennis

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks again. I may try that.

I just decided to maybe replace it with a certain Gibson Nick Lucas reissue I saw. I don't have to dump it, but if I do decide to sell it, and that means I'm going to take a hit, then ok, let's at least find it a home where it's appreciated.

Thanks again.

Dennis

If you are still interested in selling this guitar, send me some pictures and the price you are thinking to troglyzeburninater@yahoo.com

Thank you.

Austin

Archived