Gibson Brands Forums

Custom shop one offs

donniecrump

I recently was told that Gibson is no longer running their one off custom shop. This really bites because I finally saved up enough cash after 4 years to get a Custom left handed model in Desert Burst made with a AAA top. Mainly with no pick guard. Put nickel hardware on it. Drilling a hole in a AAA flame top should be a crime. I actually feel sick and depressed. It would be very easy. Take a custom left handed body, which you already make, and just make the finish Desert Burst instead of Black and do not put a pick guard on it. This does not seem to be very special. I would be even willing to buy it just painted and fretted with no other hardware at street price.

So I guess the question is .. is Gibson ever going to make Custom one offs again? I know "back in the day" they opened it once a year and made custom orders.

I also think this would be a great selling limited production run. I would buy one tomorrow. I may even buy one and finance another. That would be 2 Customs sold already.

Or could I just get a Custom body before you paint it and put electronics in it?

How about every time I play a show with my band I put up a Gibson banner behind me? I would also wear a Gibson t-shirt while playing? I would even be willing to put a large decal on the back window of my car that says Gibson.

As you can tell I really, really want a Left Handed custom model.

Please reconsider the Custom shop closure.

Donnie

I'm not sure about that. I know the Acoustic division still does custom orders - the orders have to be made through a custom dealer, not directly to the factory. They make custom builds and send out acoustics without the pickguard installed. Did you check with C/S - service@gibson.com ?

I called Sweetwater and Guitar Center. They both told me the same thing. The sad thing is the things I want they already do. If I wanted a tie-dye Les Paul Custom I could see that being an issue. But I just want a Les Paul Custom left handed with a Desert Burst finish and no pick guard. Seems pretty simple to me.

I will email customer service and see what they say.

Try one of the other Custom Dealers that is not a big box chain store. Dave's, Wildwood, Rainbow. (no preference to that order of dealers as I have ordered one-offs from all of them in the past)

I called Sweetwater and Guitar Center. They both told me the same thing. The sad thing is the things I want they already do. If I wanted a tie-dye Les Paul Custom I could see that being an issue. But I just want a Les Paul Custom left handed with a Desert Burst finish and no pick guard. Seems pretty simple to me.

I will email customer service and see what they say.

Sweetwater and Guitar Center have a lot of stock on hand that they want to sell you. If the Custom shop doesn't make any special order guitars then they aren't really "custom" at all. I'd check further into that rumor or call them directly.

I just got an email back from Dave at Dave's guitar and he said it could not be make at this time and to check back later this year. I tried to call Gibson but got put on hold and no one ever came to the phone. I also left a message and emailed customer service. Still nothing.

It would at least be nice if they could give a custom shop eta or even if my request is possible at all.

I am starting to feel like Dr. Evil wanting sharks with laser beams attached to their heads. "tears"

Keep in touch with Dave. You will get it done. There are times when they do not do one offs even if it is very simple. Right now is one of those times, but it always changes.

Dave's Guitar Shop has two lefties DGS 30th Anniversary R8s in Atlanta Burst and Iced Tea SunBurst currently with no holes drilled for pickguards. http://davesguitar.com/products/gibson-custom-shop/daves-guitar-shop-30th-anniversary-1958-les-paul-standard-left-hand-3/ and http://davesguitar.com/products/gibson-custom-shop/daves-guitar-shop-30th-anniversary-1958-les-paul-standard-left-hand-5/ .

You could send it to Historic Makeovers to get it painted Desert Burst, if you so wish.

For the full MSRP you pay to get the Gibson Custom Shop to make one for you, you would end up paying about the same if you are to go this route instead. You may even save a few dollars.

Archived