Gibson Brands Forums

Dull finish / Special run guitars

gnappi

There's a custom ES-335 with P90-s that was made as a special run for Guitar Center that has a glossy top, and dull back. I have a couple of Q's about it and others like them.

What's the deal on special run guitars have they ever brought any increased value over time?

Next, can anything be done to the dull finish? Is it nitro, can it be buffed up?

IMO it's not worth it as far as "investment value." That's basically a "value" model. If it's less expensive than the standard 335 p90 model, then it won't increase in value. It's never worth it to buy a "lower" level of guitar and try to spiff it up to the level of finish and appointments of a better guitar. Buffing a dull finish "kind of works", but not really.

If that's the only p90 model you can find, then you don't have any other choices.

Of course, the guitar will probably play and sound great anyway. [thumbup] [thumbup]

There's a custom ES-335 with P90-s that was made as a special run for Guitar Center that has a glossy top, and dull back. I have a couple of Q's about it and others like them.

What's the deal on special run guitars have they ever brought any increased value over time?

Next, can anything be done to the dull finish? Is it nitro, can it be buffed up?

Funny, this model has come up a lot lately.

Most were made near the end of 2011.

I've played two of these.

The first one I didn't like much at all.

The second one (red), I loved & bought.

Do not inherently expect an increase in value

simply because an instrument is part of a special run,

but this one should hold it's value similar to other Gibsons,

in particular since few 335s have been made with P90s.

For anyone wanting that combination, it will be attractive.

Rather unique features for a 335 include:

the P90s,

an ebony fretboard,

'60s fast neck profile,

coil taps (discussed on another thread),

locking chrome tulip Grovers.

The satin finish on the back & sides is

smooth & nicely finished on mine.

It could be easily buffed,

but to my eyes the look is quite classy

in combo with the gloss top,

and build quality on this one is excellent.

Listed price on this model is not cheap: Approx $2650,

but then you can always wheel & deal at GC.

Per the norm with Gibson, try to play multiple samples

as there can be wide variations from one guitar to the next.

It's worth baring in mind that these days Gibson, Fender and Martin all have limited run models making up a substantial part of their yearly output. It's a positive thing in that you can buy something that is a little different and more individual, and you might stumble upon a set of features that suits you better than the standard model. But given the quantity of these limited runs it's unlikely that the majority of them will appreciate any differently than a comparable standard model.

You might get lucky in a few years and find someone desperate for a P90 335 who's prepared to pay a little extra - but then again you also have a niche product that someone looking for a regular second hand 335 would pass on, so it goes both ways.

Every so often Gibson puts out a small run model where demand seems to far outstrip the number produced - such as the DG-335 - and prices of used models go shooting upwards, but they're pretty few and far between and it tends to be pricey signature models.

"Special run" really means nothing more than "you can only get it here".

In the case of GC, MOST special run or exclusives are ordered to be cheaper, as in, to have features that make them more affordable. This one is a good example of that, in that the satin back and sides are intended to be less expensive than full gloss.

So, OBVIOSLY, you should expect it to be worth less in the future than the full gloss, or "non-exclusive" models.

BUT- get your discount AS you buy it- THAT'S what the model is intended for. That's what makes them worth it.

As for increasing value over time, you can't expect ANY guitar to increase in value that you buy new. That's basically the difference between buying new vs used.

If you are looking to make money collecting or buying guitars, you missed the boat. Now is NOT the time, and it may not even happen again.

But back to reality, buy the guitar you want, and spend money to GET what you want. That's the only way to get your money's worth.

Oh, the finish: you can gloss it up considerably, and it will happen naturally, but you can not get it to ever match the gloss finish. They are two different sheens, and will always be that way.

Oh, the finish: you can gloss it up considerably, and it will happen naturally, but you can not get it to ever match the gloss finish. They are two different sheens, and will always be that way.

The nitro satin finish on this model (at least on mine) is very smooth. There are no visible pores as is often seen on Gibson's entry level "worn" satin nitro finished instruments (such as LPs & SGs).

I'm guessing if someone wanted to buff it out, it would get fairly close to the sheen of the top.

On the other hand, I really like the effect & will leave it alone.

In particular, I find the neck to be extremely fast & comfortable with this finish.

The nitro satin finish on this model (at least on mine) is very smooth. There are no visible pores as is often seen on Gibson's entry level "worn" satin nitro finished instruments (such as LPs & SGs).

I'm guessing if someone wanted to buff it out, it would get fairly close to the sheen of the top.

On the other hand, I really like the effect & will leave it alone.

In particular, I find the neck to be extremely fast & comfortable with this finish.

I think I know what you mean.

I actually only own one in a "satin", and it's a Larrivee. On the back of the neck, it has kinda worn to be real shiney. I wouldn't consider it a cheaper finish as far as quality goes.

What I meant, particularly, is on the ones that have like a gloss top and a satin back and sides, and particularly where they are supposedly the same color, you can't get the satin one to match the gloss one simply polishing it.

I should add that I've never tried, but rather I deal with matching paint and finishes quite a bit in my job. I often gloss this up a little, dull that up a little, but there ain't no blending if they are next to each other.

So to be a little more specific, they may both be nitro, but it isn't just how it's polished or the shine that makes them different. But that's about the limits of my expertise in this area.

As another pleased owner I agree with bobouz. And hey! The "satin" back and neck was a selling point for me. P90s - check, Satin finish - check. One of the reasons I bought a Reverend Pete Anderson in 2010. Not a glossy spot on that guitar. I'll also add that I was not thinking about resale or investment value during the purchase. it was all sound and feel. msp_cool.gif

I also bought one of these, mine is the chocolate variety. I have no problem with the glossy top/satin sides and back, but I don't think the finish had quite hardened when GC received it, and I found it necessary to yank off the hardware and buff out the top with automotive rubbing compounds (3 grades) to get it back to perfectly reflective. Since then, it hasn't changed.

But then again, I didn't get it for the finish anyway, I got it for the P90 sound in a larger semi-hollow, which to me sounds like God's Own guitar. This is NOT an entry-level Gibson, it's not inexpensive, and it's extremely well made. I don't much care what happens to the resale value someday, since it will never be for sale. I consider myself fortunate to have snagged one of these while I could.

Archived