Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone use the Bose L1 Compact system???

onewilyfool

One of my bands has used a Bose for many years, and yes I miss the reverb. Spendy also. Now that I am doing solo gigs, I would like to find something smaller. Would love to believe the ZT Lunchbox Acoustic would cut it, but I wonder if it is powerful enough.

The Bose name certainly makes the unit interesting, but I've always wondered how it does at an outside venue, like a Music in The Parks show. I know it has several speakers, but I can't find how powerful they are supposed to be. Still, Bose quality is tough to beat. I bought a Yamaha Stage Pas 300 for a lot less. Two speakers, 8-channel mixer, 300 watts, and the mixer attaches to the back of a speaker. Real easy to carry. Lots of volume outdoors with both speakers, and I can use just one for smaller gigs. Very portable and lightweight. Yamaha electronics are typically very good. For coffeehouses I use a Roland Street Cube, unless I've got someone joining me and I need more channels.

The Bose name certainly makes the unit interesting, but I've always wondered how it does at an outside venue, like a Music in The Parks show. I know it has several speakers, but I can't find how powerful they are supposed to be. Still, Bose quality is tough to beat. I bought a Yamaha Stage Pas 300 for a lot less. Two speakers, 8-channel mixer, 300 watts, and the mixer attaches to the back of a speaker. Real easy to carry. Lots of volume outdoors with both speakers, and I can use just one for smaller gigs. Very portable and lightweight. Yamaha electronics are typically very good. For coffeehouses I use a Roland Street Cube, unless I've got someone joining me and I need more channels.

300 watts enough for an outdoor gig ? we have 500 and i would worry about using it outdoors as it struggles in a

rowdy bar

300 watts enough for an outdoor gig ? we have 500 and i would worry about using it outdoors as it struggles in a

rowdy bar

I hear ye man, we used to have 300, but moved up to 800, not that we're really pushing that. I'd say we could get by with 500, but you're correct if a bar is quite lively it can be pushing it so the extra room if required is handy to have.

You'd be surprised EA, the place we used to do open mic nights had a cheapish 300wt system and it would struggle in a bar with 40-50 people in it. Feedback etc... Up in the red. We've our own 800 system now (with plenty headroom left) no struggles, no howls etc...

We're also micing up a cajon and cymbals too.

I run 3 channels, singer on 2, cajon has 2.

Works fine in small venues with loads of headroom left, bigger places obviously need a bit more.

i have to say tht shape of the place has a bit to do with it ... one bar , low ceilings tiled floor made a difference .

but like PM said, we're also in the red if the place fills up . i'm not saying that i want 1000watts to lift the roof off , but the bit of extra play would allow a more comfortable ride .

Far better to have it and not need to use it than to need it and not have it.....

As I say, a bar with 40-50 people in it and a 300wt setup left us trying to squeeze every last drop out of it. With 800 we can play bigger places and still have a good bit of juice in the tank.

I have the same amp as you EA, I have up using it. Sounds great but depending on the room it just wasnt loud enough. Even in fairly small pubs up at a decent level, it was really fighting against crowd noise.

I use 3 channels on the pa now, works dandy. Nice volume range and no trying to squeeze the last drop out. I don't know how you can play a rowdy pub with just that. Can't be too loud down the other side of the room.

The Bose Compact is a unique system, being a line array with sub. I don't have one but have a Bose Classic L1 system, it's more powerful brother. They are outstanding singer-songwriter systems. Especially great for vocals. And acoustic guitar. The Compact is not going to give a lot of oomph for playing in a loud, roudy bar. It will work fine for listening events. As for outside, if people are close by and not rowdy, it'll work. The Bose systems are cool in that no monitor is needed. And projection is such (due to the line array) that listeners in almost any spot in your audience will hear what you hear. As opposed to a traditional PA, where there is a sweet spot in the middle of the stereo field.

I have a Fishman Soloamp and really like it. Similar to the Bose Compact but no sub. I don't miss having a sub with it for acoustic shows. Super easy to set up, and to carry. Mixer on front of the system, which I like. (I don't like systems where controls are on the back of the system, that makes me have to get up off my stool and tweak it. On the front, just reach back and tweak. The Fishman is similar in power to the Bose Compact.

IMO, for small rooms, a Bose Compact or Fishman Soloamp are better systems for small acoustic acts than a traditional PA. And I have a traditional PA, too. I can tote the Fishman on one shoulder.

I have the same amp as you EA, I have up using it. Sounds great but depending on the room it just wasnt loud enough. Even in fairly small pubs up at a decent level, it was really fighting against crowd noise.

I use 3 channels on the pa now, works dandy. Nice volume range and no trying to squeeze the last drop out. I don't know how you can play a rowdy pub with just that. Can't be too loud down the other side of the room.

It depends on the room PM. We generally play pubs which are quite small, or in a sort of square format so not that deep. We normally place the amp quite high so its sort of at head level. But no doubt a PA would be better or ideally, use the amp as a monitor / mixer and then a line out to a PA and a couple hanging speakers, which is how it will be this saturday.

But I found in the interests of portability it does the job quite fine, not the perfect scenario, but also good enough to keep us and the punters happy.

(actually in a way its good that it doesnt go that deep as we find those that want to chat will sit at the back tables, and those who wanna listen to the band will sit or stand closer, keeps both camps happy)

three channels just for you PM ?

Yeah, three channels just for me.

1, dry and loud in the left... Snappy. 2, dry and not so loud in the centre fairly thick EQ, 3 effects channels loud in the right, delays, verbs etc... Sounds fairly thick and beefy.

Yeah, three channels just for me.

1, dry and loud in the left... Snappy. 2, dry and not so loud in the centre fairly thick EQ, 3 effects channels loud in the right, delays, verbs etc... Sounds fairly thick and beefy.

and then swap sockets for particular songs ?

Nope, all 3 are on all the time... well not necessarily the effects, but with the balance of the 2nd guitar, its even and works... we phaffed about for weeks to get it right. makes it thick n beefy. Quite happy with it. You can hear separation, but you still get an even output from both sides when we're all going...

Archived