Gibson Brands Forums

Sunday Song

Buc McMaster

Wow. Trying to put this song together has been a real eye opener for me.

Mulligan! Do Over! Geez that was horrible and my apologies to any folks that viewed that first take of this tune. While not among my best, this re-do is much better than the one posted earlier. It's still true that my voice ain't what it used to be, but I do feel this is a much better take.

The 1965 Grammy and Oscar winner from the movie The Sandpiper

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoFiuXDLgc8

Another nice one, Buc!

This song, and the spectacular Big Sur scenery--including Elizabeth Taylor's Cliffside house--were the best things about that movie, which was otherwise pretty forgettable..

The attached link is just about my favorite version of the song, featuring Barney Kessel in his prime, playing a big Gibson archtop. This video shows Kessel's incredible left hand technique in a unique and detailed way. If it doesn't make you appreciate the jazz archtop, not much will.

Thank you for your tolerance - that first take was terrible! [thumbdn] This re-do is much improved but still short of what I think I could have done 20 years ago. But 20 years ago I wouldn't be caught dead singing a song like this. Remind me to stop smoking.........please!

Well thanks, FMA. You were the impetus for this tune and you are right, it was not easy at all on the ukulele and even more of a challenge to sing. There were several chords in there it took a few days to get a handle on........and I still managed to fumble finger a couple of them.

Thank you, sir, I appreciate that.

Why yes, I'd love a smoke, Stu! Haven't had one all day, in fact.............wonder how long this will last....... The little Gibson does sound pretty good. Has more sustain than the Collings, a fact that may be attributable to the age of the wood.........maybe.......i dunno.........

(.......and thanks to you and the Mrs.!)

Archived