Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson lp studio 2014 anyone wanna share his thoughts?

hoross

I was wondering since everyone is talking about the studio pro 2014 being so good and so great and the studio lp 2014 SO BAD i wonder who has it.

I have been playing 25 years guitar and had standards,classic antique,lpj and tribute and i think the new studio is really heavy loud and kickass guitar what are your thoughts ladies and gentlemen?

I have a 2014 Les Paul Studio in Honeyburst, not only is it gorgeous it sounds spectacular. I own 3 Les Pauls, a 2012 Traditional Mahogany Satin, a 2014 Les Paul Peace and the 2014 Les Paul Studio. The Studio is as good as any of them, it has a simplistic rawness that I find very appealing. If you want a great player you can't go wrong with the 2014 Studio. If you like the cosmetic bling of high gloss and binding it comes with a price, the studio has all the main ingredients that make a Les Paul sound like a Les Paul. I was a little concerned about liking the 490 pickups, but they do sound very good to me. So far the maple neck appears to be very stable.

Thanks for sharing that man,i used to have a Gibson les paul classic antique and a les paul standard ,after i sold both of them and got myself a 60s tribute and an LPJ but i couldn find the tone i wanted .However at the end i found the les paul studio 2014 this guitar really rocks im totally happy with it.

I just purchased a 2014 studio, pics below. I compared this instrument to Standards and a traditional and the tone from the Studio blows them out of the water, hands down. Very solid construction, excellent quality and it seems to me that the Studio for 2014 is a much better guitar than last years models. I specifically held off buying a 2013 model Les Paul because they seemed a little off to me, and the mid range stuff with granadillo fret-boards just did not do it for me. Highly recommend this guitar, however they should have left the 120th anniversary logo off, it just does not need to be there (not that I mind really).

post-13086-081628600 1393165685_thumb.jpg

yes agree with you i used to have standards and a classic antique however had to sell it cause i needed money at that time but now i found in that guitar a blowout guitar studios are my favourites and this one tops it out of the box i will record my new album with that guitar.

post-9311-008690100 1393170909_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a 2014 studio as I have always wanted a blue les paul and I love the look of the 2014 studio in blue. I really like the 490r/490t pickup set so that was a bonus. Wanted the 60's neck and wanted a light guitar. The thing I like least about this guitar is the amber plastic they put on it. But I can live with it. Here is my blue studio.

IMG_0435_zps88536c67.jpg

I bought a 2014 studio as I have always wanted a blue les paul and I love the look of the 2014 studio in blue. I really like the 490r/490t pickup set so that was a bonus. Wanted the 60's neck and wanted a light guitar. The thing I like least about this guitar is the amber plastic they put on it. But I can live with it. Here is my blue studio.

IMG_0435_zps88536c67.jpg

Saw this on another forum, and it looks just as beautiful here.

Put on some amber knobs and that will make the guitar look really sharp. I'm confused why they put the black knobs on there.

Actually that sounds like a good idea. Will investigate that price of knobs when I take my new acoustic in for setup this week.

• 4 weeks later...

I ended up purchasing one of the 2014 studios in Manhattan Blue. It is on backorder until May 2nd. I have seen alot of criticism about the new studios and the finish being poor and so on. What would you recommend i do? Return it and get a high end epiphone les paul? I paid 700 for the 2014. Thanks alot.

Here's mine purchased 2 weeks ago in Brilliant Red Burst. I had a 2013 Studio in VS, but the Maple neck and light weight of the '14 appealed to me more. Got to say its a great playing and sounding guitar. The finish isn't high gloss like to '13, but I like the Vintage Gloss just as much. Much prefer the Rosewood fretboard too. The '14 was much better set up out of the box,. One down side? It doesn't come with the Gibson hard case it deserves.

axxshd.jpg

I got a 2014 LP Studio in Manhattan Blue and like it a lot. This is my first Gibson with coil taps. They do give it a single-coil vibe like two Strat pickups might sound on a LP. It is not brighter sounding as I expected. Does anyone else notice this? The maple neck is fine. Now I want a LP Melody Maker for some P90 sounds.

IMG_0435_zps88536c67.jpg

That guitar would look really awesome with black trim. [thumbup] Really not a fan of that amber color.

• 4 weeks later...

deeman and mystique are going to get tired of seeing me. haha. the 2014 studio is an amazing axe. it is a new beast of it's own. i wasn't too crazy about the 490T and R at first but after adjusting the pickup posts and the pickup height i love it. the action is super low and the sustain is unbelievable. the maple neck was new to me even though i know gibson has used them in the past. i hate to say this but the feel of the backside of the neck reminded me of a (cough) strat (cough cough). but tone wise and playability? man, you can't beat it. les paul through and through. the only people that are talking bad about the regular 2014 studio are those that paid extra for the pro.... all they got was a glossy finish, a hard shell case ($200 value and there are better cases out there for less), a different pickup config, and different tuners. about a $500 difference..... its actually been shown before that the faded and satin finishes on the regular studios resonate better than the high gloss finish. i only really liked one of the color options for the pro. i had a hard time deciding what color option i wanted on my studio.

DSCI0222.jpg

I just purchased a 2014 studio, pics below. I compared this instrument to Standards and a traditional and the tone from the Studio blows them out of the water, hands down. Very solid construction, excellent quality and it seems to me that the Studio for 2014 is a much better guitar than last years models. I specifically held off buying a 2013 model Les Paul because they seemed a little off to me, and the mid range stuff with granadillo fret-boards just did not do it for me. Highly recommend this guitar, however they should have left the 120th anniversary logo off, it just does not need to be there (not that I mind really).

rumors are floating that these may hold some kind of value because of the 12th fret.... i personally don't know. but thought it wouldn't hurt to grab one up.

IMG_0435_zps88536c67.jpg

i thought the amber plastics look best on your blue guitar. on my honey burst they are hard to see. try swapping the knobs and the toggle cap with amber knobs of your choice and it will balance the colors out. the black may be a neutral color but still clashes with the blue and amber.... IMO...

Archived