Gibson Brands Forums

Would you rather save a bit of money, or guitar weight?

jblue212

I'm considering an LP Classic. A new 2014 is over 2 grand but AMS has some weighing in at a little over 8lbs. There's one on Ebay that would save me $300, barely used, 2014 model, but it's 9lb 4oz.

I'm new to electric playing (used to my L200 acoustic) and I don't know how I'll feel about having this around my neck for long periods. Is it better to go lighter (and have a warranty) or not pass up a good deal?

I'm considering an LP Classic. A new 2014 is over 2 grand but AMS has some weighing in at a little over 8lbs. There's one on Ebay that would save me $300, barely used, 2014 model, but it's 9lb 4oz.

I'm new to electric playing (used to my L200 acoustic) and I don't know how I'll feel about having this around my neck for long periods. Is it better to go lighter (and have a warranty) or not pass up a good deal?

It is better to have a guitar which you feel comfortable with whether it has a warranty or not.

In my opinion TONE is worth the WEIGHT not to mention more sustain!

I have a 2014 MM ultra thin and amazing super hot p-90s...but it just does not

compare to my LP Classic as far as tone and sustain are concerned.

with the 2014 Classic you can also split the pups for a brighter single coil type sound.

not sure what kind of music you play...but when it comes to Gibson i've learned

spending more money gets you a lot more than just a pretty top.

GO ALL IN... its worth it!msp_thumbup.gif

9 lb. 4 ounces is not bad for a modern LP. I would personally pay the $300 more for the lighter one unless I could play them both, in which case I would pick the one that sounds/plays better. I don't believe heavier equals better tone or even necessarily more sustain. Jimmy Page's #1 LP only weighs like 7.5 lbs.

Unfortunately can't pick up and play either. They are both online. The local GC doesn't have any Classics (though they tried to sell me a used 1960 reissue tonight - LOVELY but above my price range) and I'm not sure who around here would have 'em in stock.

My heaviest guitar is 9# 6oz. I can definitely feel the difference after a two hour rehearsal if I use my Strat which is 1# lighter. How much weight matters will probably depend on your age. With me it plays into any guitar or amp purchase. I can handle the 9# 6oz. but I would never buy one that was heavier. I use a compressor if I need more than 14 seconds of sustain, which is what I get from my Strat. Lugging around a log so you can say your guitar will hold a note for 20 seconds when you never need to do that seems kind of foolish to me.

I wonder why with this modern weight relieving and chambering (actually routing out some of the body wood in exchange for less weight) that removing wood costs more than leaving it in there. duh. more wood better value ... unless of course you have a problem with the heavy lp. shouldn't taking wood out lower the cost (or does it cost more to route it out)?

I wonder why with this modern weight relieving and chambering (actually routing out some of the body wood in exchange for less weight) that removing wood costs more than leaving it in there. duh. more wood better value ... unless of course you have a problem with the heavy lp. shouldn't taking wood out lower the cost (or does it cost more to route it out)?

The wood comes from the tree with no holes, so there is more labor involved in making the holes. Since the removed wood has no value, the added labor drives up the cost of making the guitar. (Now if we were talking White Castle hamburgers, the meat from those holes could be used to make other burgers so there could be some payback in that case, and there probably is.) That said, most products are sold for the highest price they can fetch on the market, not necessarily some multiplier of the cost to produce them.

The wood comes from the tree with no holes, so there is more labor involved in making the holes. Since the removed wood has no value, the added labor drives up the cost of making the guitar. (Now if we were talking White Castle hamburgers, the meat from those holes could be used to make other burgers so there could be some payback in that case, and there probably is.) That said, most products are sold for the highest price they can fetch on the market, not necessarily some multiplier of the cost to produce them.

=D>

Weight is important to me as I have an arthritic left shoulder. My first Studio a 2013, weighed 8lb 7oz, but when I found a 2014 which weighed 7lb 13oz I made the switch, even though the '13 was probably higher spec'. Both I have to say were, and are great playing and sounding les Pauls!

I go for less weight. Just me personally... others have their preference. Gibson does hold back their lighter weight blanks for their more expensive guitars... just sayin. I find lighter weight LPs seems to carry a lot of "resonance" and tone too, unlike what some believe. I ain't no expert though! :-)

Well I'm still contemplating several choices. Most of the LPs I like on Ebay or Reverb are coming in around 9 lbs. I tried to get a GC salesman to weigh a used G0 for me, but he asked me to come back because they were really busy and a scale wasn't handy. That one is lovely but a bit over my price range.

I still wonder if I can handle 9 lbs for a long period of time. I'm a female certainly over my "youth" days...

Archived