Gibson Brands Forums

New PA day

surfpup

You'll love it!!! I've got a lot of Carvin Equip., studio mics, condenser mics, a powered mixer very similar to yours, an effects processor, wireless systems, I play a Carvin B-4 fretless bass in my bluegrass band and a Carvin Bel-Air tube amp is my #1 amp for all my guitars. My stuff has been bulletproof and if there is a problem, they take care of it pronto. example, one of the wireless systems I use for my guitars started to make a little hissing noise, even tho I'd had it three yrs, they sent me a brand new one and a return tag for the old one. I'm excited for you Surf, you're gonna Love it [thumbup]

TC

You'll love it!!! I've got a lot of Carvin Equip., studio mics, condenser mics, a powered mixer very similar to yours, an effects processor, wireless systems, I play a Carvin B-4 fretless bass in my bluegrass band and a Carvin Bel-Air tube amp is my #1 amp for all my guitars. My stuff has been bulletproof and if there is a problem, they take care of it pronto. example, one of the wireless systems I use for my guitars started to make a little hissing noise, even tho I'd had it three yrs, they sent me a brand new one and a return tag for the old one. I'm excited for you Surf, you're gonna Love it [thumbup]

TC

msp_thumbup.gif +1... 3/4 of my PA is Carvin. power amps, Board, monitors, mics ... cant beat it.

Thanks all. Looking forward to hearing it. Won't have a gig until next Wed. - but I'll set it up in the garage just to familiarize with it before then.

Nice.

BTW. What ever happened to the thread about "Posting our upcoming gigs" or something like that?

Nice.

BTW. What ever happened to the thread about "Posting our upcoming gigs" or something like that?

Never really took off. Most people thought it was to post videos of their band or their friends bands. But, I see you revived it. I'm game. In fact Kaiser Bill came out and saw us at a gig recently. It was really cool to chat with a member face to face about music! [thumbup] I'll go over and post some dates...

There's so much good stuff available in "sound reinforcement" I think one might almost have to be a pro at studying them to know strengths and weaknesses of each brand, design and even concept.

But SP is IMHO doing well by getting into the heart of a performing band, the PA...

m

• 2 weeks later...

But SP is IMHO doing well by getting into the heart of a performing band, the PA...

Update: we used the new PA Wednesday at one of our regular gigs. Worked well. The 15" speakers are a little bigger than I thought they would be. The 12" woofers would probably have been sufficient - especially for the monitor wedge. Still gotta iron out some of the gain. We had the mics a little too hot on the front end at first since each mic has gain and level before you even get to the main output adjustments. Sounded cleaner once we trimmed those back a bit.

Interesting and related side note - the supplied Carvin M68 mics sounded great but they are HOT. It came with two, so I was using my trusty Shure SM58. We had to really crank the gain on me to match the Carvin mics the other singers were using. Thought it was a bad cord at first since the level on the Shure was so much lower. Those Carvin mics are really gainy - but they sounded great once we trimmed them back a bit. I may even get one to match the others and carry the SM58 as a backup.

You think you will be able to post the sounds of your new equipment?

Would love to hear it in action.

What type of music is your group playing?

Think it would be great if members who are in groups could post pictures of them playing with sound.

Is that a possibility?

yeah, 15-inch speakers make for a biiiiig piece regardless.

I think also the point of having to figure balance is one that others should strongly consider.

That's not a criticism of SP because it's typical of figuring use of a PA and mikes regardless style or type of music. In fact, those who do not consider such concerns is little or no better off than those who have 9,000 watt guitar amps and 50-watt PAs.

m

Archived