Gibson Brands Forums

Another Noob Wants To Show Off His First Gibson

pickleweedpete

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

E-minor...

In a sense. Prior to the CW, never had so many pieces of wood been formed into functioning bits of "instruments." I that case, it was firearms, but how little difference there is between a gunstock and a guitar neck when it comes to larger-scale manufacturing, eh?

Beyond that, consider how much more wire was being drawn, and steels improved... wood transported...

m

Do you guys believe it about my guitar????????? I am broken hearted here. How long does Gibson usually take to repair something like this?

Fwiw, here's my 2 cents: You could be in for a long wait, and you've never played this instrument, correct? It is a beauty, but beauty can sometimes be only skin deep. Especially with Gibson jumbos, which can range from dead-as-a-doornail to the sound-of-angels-singing.

There are lots of good guitars out there. Cancel your order, but have them contact you when it's returned to the dealer in case you want to consider it at that time. Then go out play as many as you can. Have fun with the whole experience, and maybe along the way you'll find the right one actually sitting in your lap!

Un *%$#'n believable. 'Am so sorry to hear this, especially after being among those getting you all psyched up with three pages of foreguitarplay. I can't recall if it was with Gibson or Martin, but a return to the mother ship should probably have one expecting a six week turnaround. With Martin, much of the time, they warrant a repair by a factory authorized repair center, not necessarily a trip back to the Nazarene. That would be much quicker. A smaller shop (seller) may not know what would be involved with a trip back to Bozeman. If the seller was a shop the size of, well, let's say Willcutt Guitars, for example, they would probably know an expert refinisher that they routinely use, and, to keep a satisfied customer who's currently making a big splash on the Gibson Acoustic forum, they would want to move that repair along in short order.

A most equitable offer of you to simply have them reduce the price of the guitar, maybe $400 (haven't seen the pics of the damage) or so, then to risk multiple cross-country trips in the winter weather. Especially if the scratching/gouging was lap-side down. Get it fixed whenever. I'm sorry to hear of this development; sounds like you have the option to back out, but a super jumbo with those specs would probably be pretty hard to find. If you were on the East Coast, I'd happily hand off to you something nice to use in the meanwhile.

As far as the photos; what kind of phone do you have the pics on? Most nowadays give you the option to send an image to your home email.

62burst, thanks VERY MUCH for your post. Well, I have to be coy here because I promised not to slam anyone, but if you said Willcutt Guitars you're a good guesser. Yes, and I even sent them a link to my first post on the board about my new JS100! I don't know, man. First they said they have a luthier with fifty years experience on staff and I go, "Great!", but then they told me they preferred to send the guitar back to Gibson for the repair. So I said okay. What can I do? Yes, the mars are on the underside in the hands of a right handed player. I don't know why I can't post the pics of them. Possibly even one of the three is too large.

E-minor...

In a sense. Prior to the CW, never had so many pieces of wood been formed into functioning bits of "instruments." I that case, it was firearms, but how little difference there is between a gunstock and a guitar neck when it comes to larger-scale manufacturing, eh?

Beyond that, consider how much more wire was being drawn, and steels improved... wood transported...

m

Oh sure, what can I say - I'm grateful, , , but already paid.

My second song was about the Civil War - it is 40 years old this year and was called On a Markets Place In Ohio.

It went and still goes like this :

On a markets place in Ohio in 1871

The Civil War is over

and all the slaves are gone

Yeah the slaves are happy bright and free

Hey you with the big hat ! , , , won't you come up and try

There're many chances of winning

and not a chance to die

And the slaves are happy bright and free

It was performed with a band in a schoolyard in the summer of 1974 - and it scored me a rather hot chick from the class above.

Never looked back since. .

;-)

Fwiw, here's my 2 cents: You could be in for a long wait, and you've never played this instrument, correct? It is a beauty, but beauty can sometimes be only skin deep. Especially with Gibson jumbos, which can range from dead-as-a-doornail to the sound-of-angels-singing.

There are lots of good guitars out there. Cancel your order, but have them contact you when it's returned to the dealer in case you want to consider it at that time. Then go out play as many as you can. Have fun with the whole experience, and maybe along the way you'll find the right one actually sitting in your lap!

Bobouz, that sounds like good advice. No, I've never played the guitar. To my understanding though I'm under no obligation to buy it. It's true -- there are lots and lots and lots of acoustic flat tops out there, even lots of Gibson jumbos. I sure like this one though. I don't know what to do. The Mossman dreadnaught is still available, and they are supposed to be GREAT guitars. Maybe I'll take another look at it.

milod, I believe what you've said about Benteen's arrogance, dislike of Custer, etc. is all very true. Evidently he was also a very brave officer! And maybe Reno was too, but as you've pointed out he was in a very tough spot. Things went to hell very quickly indeed. The worst I've read about him is that he led the retreat from the valley up to Reno Hill.

E-minor, just shut up, okay? The damn guitar players get ALL the chicks! [laugh]

Yeah - at least that myth proved to be true.

Apart from that I think you should hold on to the J-100 - at a lowered price. You threw you heart at it and cannot afford to let it slip that easy. . .

Yeah - at least that myth proved to be true.

Apart from that I think you should hold on to the J-100 - at a lowered price. You threw you heart at it and cannot afford to let it slip that easy. . .

Yeah, if they want full price for it when it's fixed I may balk -- even if Gibson's done the work. Thanks again for your input!

Benteen sandbagged getting around the valley. As I said, as far as I'm concerned he was passive-aggressive especially under Custer. Long history between them.

One might note also that Benteen never achieved the brevet ranks of either Reno or Custer during the CW.

Reno's "every man for himself" retreat up the hill... it's not military practice of much of any era except... too much stuff was happening at once and the opposing forces were exploding in numbers in front of him when he had his face splattered. At the time, too, nobody knew what opposition was where, so where he may have been in a virtual rout could have different interpretations. I think he was probably just hoping to get to that hill with enough people to set up a perimeter for survival.

Both Reno and Benteen had too much contact with demon rum and careers functionally were destroyed for it.

Frankly I can't imagine being friends at all with Benteen, or caring to work with him - and a friendship with Reno largely because he was basically a good guy who let that dark cloud take him over... even as my reenactor friend.

m

Benteen sandbagged getting around the valley? I don't understand, milod. Will you please explain?

References to the actions of two senior officers of the US 7th Cavalry during the Indian Wars engagement known as the Battle of Little Bighorn, when they failed to bring troops under their command to the assistance of George Armstrong Custer and his troops, who were completely wiped out in the battle.

Reno and Benteen both were under Custer on that expedition, and Custer split his command by intent. He and Reno simply ran into far, far more resistance than earlier experience would have suggested. Benteen made no effort to "hurry," but the contrary. He justified it in several ways, but I'm convinced it largely was a passive-aggressive response to Custer being in command.

But the whole spring/early summer complex of Army movement in '76 in the "Great Sioux War of 1876" was not as simple as most folks might suggest.

A number of groups of the U.S. Army that June were moving into the area that a few years earlier was considered the Bozeman Trail area where in '67 and '68 there had been mixed results (the Fetterman debacle at Ft. Phil Kearny is one) and brought the treaty of '68 and the Army giving up Ft. Phil to be burned by their opponents and the trail closed. (I was on the board at today's site/museum for a short time, and did "reenacting" and a bit of first person living history stuff there - even a tiny part in an anachronistic European movie made there.)

Anyway, shortly before the Custer debacle, Crook's force moving north along the eastern slope of the Bighorns ran into the Lakota/Cheyenne and the "Indians" IMHO won a technical victory in that they halted Crook. A few days later, and almost certainly feeling pretty good about that, which led to their success against Custer. Custer came in as if he were attacking a village of 500-1,000 total population. It was a lot bigger and the splitting of his forces led to a disaster.

On the ground there seeing the terrain, it's hard for me to imagine a much different result given both military cultures involved. My "Reno" reenactor friend had done a lot of study on Reno's actions and was absolutely convinced that regardless of face splattered with brains from a scout hit in the head, Reno's "head for the bluffs, every man for himself, then form a defense" may have actually saved more than it cost, given the exploding and overwhelming number of opponents he found largely on foot while his force still could be mounted.

Although the result was loss of a large part of Custer's command, Reno's defensive position on the bluff and Benteen's late arrival to reinforce Reno did result in the end of the "battle" with the cavalry actually having an effective fighting force - and one might suggest a strategic victory. The huge "village" broke up.

Then Crook took after the Sioux in a grueling "horsemeat march" that broke the back of the Sioux (and took much of the winter food supply) in the fall after another "battle" at Slim Buttes.

The entire summer and fall campaigns weren't really "stirling" victories by any definition, but the bottom line is that by the next spring the "Great Sioux War" was over; a different era with different perspectives and challenges for all involved.

m

Archived