Gibson Brands Forums

NGD - Fender Strat

Drog

I was only kinda looking for a second strat, to be used as a gigging guitar. I came accross this, Fender Special Edition John Mayer black 1 strat ( only 500 made). She plays great, the previous owner never even installed the trem bar or took the plastic off the pickguard. No scratches or dings, just like new. The cost was the same as a new AM Std strat, so I figured why not and took her home. The case is really interesting. Here are the specs and a few pictures.

Alder body

Maple neck

Thick C-shape profile

Satin urethane finish on back of neck; gloss finish on face of headstock

Rosewood fretboard

9.5" fretboard radius

21 Dunlop 6105 narrow jumbo frets

White position dot inlays

25-1/2" scale

1.650" nut width

Synthetic bone string nut

Original vintage-style truss rod nut

3 Big Dipper™ Single-Coil Strat pickups

5-position pickup switch

Master volume, neck tone, bridge/middle tone controls with aged white knobs

Gold hardware

Gold Schaller die-cast tuners with pearloid buttons

American vintage-style synchronized tremolo

Aged white tremolo arm

imagejpg1_zps648f72e5.jpg

imagejpg2_zps4429f846.jpg

imagejpg6_zps7fa26f30.jpg

imagejpg5_zpsa8e3de38.jpg

imagejpg4_zps7ebb06e0.jpg

imagejpg3_zps25c4d69e.jpg

Congrats, Drog, on this fine guitar. It seems you got a nice deal, too. [thumbup]

Me thinks you currently are on a Signature guitar trip. Interestingly Robbie Krieger and John Mayer are one generation apart, but obviously not their guitars.

Very Nice Find, Drog.

I wonder why the previous owner kept it in such an 'unplayed' manner?..........................:-k

I've never heard of the Big Dipper p'ups. What are they like compared to.........erm..............

I was going to type 'normal' Strat p'ups - but it occurred to me that I've no idea what passes for 'normal' in the Strat world these days!...............

P.

... I was going to type 'normal' Strat p'ups - but it occurred to me that I've no idea what passes for 'normal' in the Strat world these days!...............

P.

[biggrin] Fender stacked noiseless PUs are what I'm considering as normal on Fenders. But this is just me... [rolleyes]

I've never heard of the Big Dipper p'ups. What are they like compared to.........erm..............

P.

I've played a JM model ONCE in a live setting with dippers....not a lot but it was enough to get a feel and hear.

They are supposed to have a scooped midrange, but in reality, I wonder how much they are. They did sound like "normal" Fender "custom shop" pups, which is a good thing.

The Fender custom shop pups, in the "vintage" category DO sound very close to the real thing and as good. Open-ness, clarity, QUALITY, etc. Good sensitivity to the touch.

The Dippers Differed in that they had a better SPANK and a little more bounce. I would have expected a scooped mid to sound harsher and thinner and lack a little color comparatively, but these did not. They were non-anemic.

I very much so, would buy some if they were available.

Archived