Gibson Brands Forums

NGD

Drog

I came accross this girl yesterday, never played one before. Well, she plays like butter and loves to swing (must be those hips). So, long story short, she came home with me. Here are a few pictures and one with the family.

2003 Gibson BB King Lucille.

imagejpg1_zps445a3009.jpg

imagejpg2_zps35839740.jpg

imagejpg3_zps56df9f75.jpg

imagejpg5_zps28f7bd20.jpg

Sweet! I love Lucilles, especially the ones like yours before they put 'BB King' instead of Gibson on the headstock itself... and you get the Ebony board on yours too. I will get round to getting one of the old ones someday!

Congrats Drog!!! My Lucille is the 2005 model which I bought new back then the day after I saw BB in concert here. I love that guitar and all the big bodied Gibbys - love that group shot you posted. Brother - you've got some very fine guitars to lay there. Enjoy! (Everyone needs a Lucille) [thumbup]

Congrats, Drog, on your beautiful Lucille. [wub] I think she is a nice member of your guitar family. [thumbup]

... Did you leave the tailpiece with fine tuners or change to a regular one?

On every Gibson where it's applicable I swapped the stock tailpiece for a TP-6 finetuning one. In my opinion it is the best Gibson accessory ever. No demand for robot tuning here. [biggrin]

Congrats, Drog, on your beautiful Lucille. [wub] I think she is a nice member of your guitar family. [thumbup]

On every Gibson where it's applicable I swapped the stock tailpiece for a TP-6 finetuning one. In my opinion it is the best Gibson accessory ever. No demand for robot tuning here. [biggrin]

Hmm, interesting you go to fine tuners. Why do you like them? I might just leave it stock for now. I am used to them on my floyd type bridge, but this is new to me on an ES guitar.

Congratulations on picking up my favorite Gibson model.

They're really special guitars and that looks like a really nice one, enjoy!

The fine tuners are a nice touch for, well, fine tuning...

Hey Steve, yes she is fun, as you already know.

Wow... that is a beautiful set of guitars you have there... I REALLY like that black one without the pickguard... what model is that?

Happy playing man [thumbup]

That is the Midtown Custom.

Soon, the "Lucy" will be sans pickguard too. [biggrin]

Hmm, interesting you go to fine tuners. Why do you like them? I might just leave it stock for now. I am used to them on my floyd type bridge, but this is new to me on an ES guitar.

TP-6 finetuners bring fast tuning and high tuning stability together. Headstock tuners may take me two minutes to achieve "recording grade" pitches even if it's just about a few cents typically. The TP-6 allows for that within seconds.

I changed mine out for an all black one. The tortoise shell one looked lame. I wanted the ebony one but red was in stock. My wife goes before that guitar. How many on the forum have Lucille's? I can think of 5 to 7 that do? There must be more?

I just prefer no pickguard.

I have on '09 in red and it says BB King as huge as all get out on the head stock. That is my only complaint about the guitar. I think my year was the last to have ebony boards. Now you get to pay $3799 for a new one with a Richlite board. Got mine used from MF for $2500. It was condition 2 and looked mint. Nice axe. It is the business. I rarely use the Varitone. It is the best sounding guitar I have ever owned.

Wow the prices have really gone up on these. Here's my receipt for when I bought mine brand new from the local Gibson dealer on 12/23/05. I'm glad I bought mine when I did. Whew! Talk about price increases..

BBKingReceiptNew122305_zpsbde852fa.jpg

Archived