Gibson Brands Forums

Standard are the best

awel

Lately, I have bought and sold some guitars, a new Brian May that I have sold to buy a used PRS Custom 24 that I have sold to buy a used Ibanez JS1000 (satriani top end), all these guitars definitively rocks but ...

for some reasons I play them then I switch to my 62 reissue Strat or to my Les Paul Custom Black Beauty and every time I wonder why I have bought another brand than a Gibson or a Fender and so I am selling it. Nothing feels like playing on these pearls.

Now I am selling my JS1000, and I think my next purchase will be an SG or another Les Paul or another Strat, this is my stuff!

Just saying :)

I get on just fine with my Fenders, (I have three, a tele and a stra plus I've had for 20 years now, and a 2014 American Standard that is one killer strat)

They will take me to a different place improvisational speaking than a Gibson will. I find that you can dig into a tele or a strat in a different way that you can a Les Paul or an SG. it makes me react to what's going on around me just a little differently.

I've got a handful of Epiphones (4) that I really like too, (various Archtops). the Regent and Broadway aren't totally practical in a band situation due to hollow body design and the tendency to feedback, they are nice players tho. My Swingster White Royale and my Elitist Country Gent are great, very versatile.

But, while I love my fenders, and the Epi's I've aquired the Gibsons are the #1 weapons of choice. (2 LPs Stds, 2 SGs, 1 ES-135) The Les Pauls are the go to guitars in almost all circumstances.

I too tend to stay with my Fenders and Gibsons. My first back in '73 was a Strat followed by the next two being a Custom and a Standard ('75 & '77). I still have all three.

I just couldn't get into Grets' and PRSs' and stuff like that. I had as a teenager a Burns Flight which was a Flying V copy and I stupidly sold it. It was a great git and I wish I could find another.

As many of you know, I recently aquired a Brian May 'Red Special' and that's a great git too, I'll keep that one. And my luthier who has his own business custom making guitars made me one of his that is great too. And my Ovation acoustics which I love for handling all my acoustic needs.

But that's pretty much what I stick with. I don't need to experiment around anymore and I have no inclination to.

Just an interesting post note. Chris and I are talking about having him custom make me a Strat or LP but using iconic Australian wood. A nice project that's slowly taking shape.

Archived