Gibson Brands Forums

I wasn't in the market for an IB 64 Texan, but....

Cougar

I'm just waiting for Morkolo to come on here and tell me how much I suck again!

But seriously, folks...I sing the praises of the mighty IB64 Texan for a reason. It's an amazing guitar at a ridiculously low price. I do not EVER talk it up falsely. I'm not trying to make myself believe I have a great guitar. I just really DO have a great guitar and I love it when others experience it in like manner.

I'm just waiting for Morkolo to come on here and tell me how much I suck again!

But seriously, folks...I sing the praises of the mighty IB64 Texan for a reason. It's an amazing guitar at a ridiculously low price. I do not EVER talk it up falsely. I'm not trying to make myself believe I have a great guitar. I just really DO have a great guitar and I love it when others experience it in like manner.

I hear ya Cliff - I felt exactly the same about my A200 which I bought new for £100 - after about 2 years playing I was amazed at the sound that came out of it. i dropped it and bust the neck - they were discontinued for a while and then along came the mighty AJ220 - will have to get another - they're still only around £125. Ridiculous price for what you get. I still haven't gelled as much with my EJ160e but I'm getting there

I hear ya Cliff - I felt exactly the same about my A200 which I bought new for £100 - after about 2 years playing I was amazed at the sound that came out of it. i dropped it and bust the neck - they were discontinued for a while and then along came the mighty AJ220 - will have to get another - they're still only around £125. Ridiculous price for what you get. I still haven't gelled as much with my EJ160e but I'm getting there

Yes, the AJ-220S is another amazing guitar. Buy it, get a fret dressing and a set up for action you like and listen to it sing!!!!!!!!!! It's a wonderful instrument!

What strings did you put on yours?

Oh, I haven't even changed the strings yet. It just sounded much more substantial yesterday -- I mean today! -- for some reason. You're right, Cliff, these are really good guitars. And I got this "new" one for essentially half price. It even came with all the case candy that you get with a new one. I don't play out, so I just picked up a cheap hardshell case off ebay, mainly for keeping it well humidified.

I've got a set of D'Addario EJ11 12-53 80/20 bronze that I could throw on her. And a set a Elixir polyweb 12-53 that I was going to put on the Martin to cut down on finger squeak.... I thought I had some more strings around here someplace... :-k

txx294.jpg

At the price you got it you can easily afford a set up, fret dressing AND a case!

Cliff, I'm not sure why you suggest a fret dressing on a new guitar. Polish maybe, but dressing? I'm getting no buzz anywhere, and she plays fine. I wonder if she even needs a setup. She's just darn playable right out of the box. [cool]

You may not need it. I generally suggest a fret dressing on the Pacrim guitars because they were made on the other side of the world and go through a lot of humidity changes. Also, since they're not plekked, a good fret dressing makes it possible to get really low action which, to many players, increases the playability substantially.

Mine played great out of the box, too. Then I went through winter without a humidifier and came out in the spring needing a lot of adjustments.

Were I you, I'd go with a set of mediums. I've always felt that with these guitars, you need medium strings to get the best out of them. Light-gauge strings just don't vibrate the wood enough. I string mine with D'Addario EJ-17s; they're very consistent from set to set.

And that is one great-looking guitar.

Were I you, I'd go with a set of mediums.

Oh Jeez, I have enough trouble with lights, haha. My chording fingers are starting to toughen up a little, though, so maybe I'd try those, like, next year, lol.

I've always felt that with these guitars, you need medium strings to get the best out of them.

I'm sure you're right. But it's a trade-off - they're going to be harder to play. Higher tension. And running it through an amp, it's less of an issue.

And that is one great-looking guitar.

Isn't that the coolest looking guitar? I am blown away. So the IB64 is more or less a replica of the FT79 that Epiphone made in 1964? (I imagine it's probably somewhat better technologically, as Cliff mentioned.) And they came in cherryburst and natural? Of course, McCartney had a natural, but several others played them, including Graham Nash, who had a cherryburst... until he redid it in black, haha. Hopefully, that's more a reflection of Graham Nash at the time, rather than the cherryburst. [biggrin] This new one though, somehow they mixed the colors to make them look 50 years old. eusa_clap.gif

If they had something other than a poly finish, they'd be darn-near perfect. I know mine really opened up after I had the finish sanded down. Of course a nitro finish drives up the price.

Try mediums! Your fingers will get used to them. The guitar is built for them and they really will bring out some character in the tone that lights won't.

I live across the street from Guitar Center, and I took my Texan over there and compared it to the acoustics. They have a nice acoustic room for the high end guitars, and I was able to compare guitars in a controlled setting.

I upgraded the tuners to Klusons and use Tusq pins, and D'Addario medium phosphor bronze strings. I mostly use it for boom chuck bluegrass rhythm at the local bluegrass jam. It's more than a year old now, and sounding great, I'll try to post a video.

Compared to the other acoustics, it's definitely part of the Gibson species. The Gibsons sound distinctly different from all the other guitars. All the other guitars sound like variations of a Martin.

I love the Texan because of it's simple sound, just the fundamentals. The other Gibsons all added to the sound nicely, with more harmonics, or even crazier low ends. But the Texan was the cleanest, tightest sounding, and loud. This could be a result of the Tusq pins.

Anyway, I walked away loving the Texan even more, but it's the sound I want. I think I got a little lucky with this guitar - I knew I wanted something from the Gibson family, but I didn't realize how much I like the super simple, high harmonic ringing sound of the strings on the Texan. Plus, it's got the perfect low end for the "boom" in the boom chuck.

Enjoy yours, Cougar, and give it a year.

Isn't that the coolest looking guitar? I am blown away. So the IB64 is more or less a replica of the FT79 that Epiphone made in 1964? (I imagine it's probably somewhat better technologically, as Cliff mentioned.) And they came in cherryburst and natural? Of course, McCartney had a natural, but several others played them, including Graham Nash, who had a cherryburst... until he redid it in black, haha. Hopefully, that's more a reflection of Graham Nash at the time, rather than the cherryburst. [biggrin] This new one though, somehow they mixed the colors to make them look 50 years old. eusa_clap.gif

They are a replica on the outside, but on the inside it is a different matter. I once had a 62 original Kalamazoo Texan, a 2004 non "Macca" early Terada model, and this 2009 IB-64, all of which had different bracing. All of which sounded completely different. The 62 was my fav, with the deepest low "E" you`ve ever heard. The Terada 04 I could not get a tone that I liked out of it, and the IB-64 fell somewhere in between, but lacked a little in character. Overall though a very nice guitar, with a great neck profile.

The originals have a depth of bass, and a "Sprangy" loose top end that is hard to define, but which the IB-64`s don`t quite capture. Although some do get close, particularly some of the Indonesian ones.

Steve.

...the Texan was the cleanest, tightest sounding, and loud...

Thanks for the research and input, Duke. I'm glad to see you describe it as "tight." Somehow that word came to mind the first time I played one, but I wasn't sure anyone would understand what I was talking about. OK, tight is right!

My repertoire is scant, but it includes several genres. Some fingerpicking like early Donovan; some flatpicking like an early Dylan piece I can't remember the name of or even any of the words (hey, it was the 60s); some old-time, swing-type, all-strings-covered-chords rhythmistic strumming like my dad always plays; and what I guess I'd call some backwoods hick playing (why is that so fun to play?!). Oh, and a very little Led Zep that Brian Ray taught me 40 years ago (Hey baby, you got the love I need). I did a little pro work (on keys) long ago, then got a straight gig, but always figured myself as a musician.

Thanks for the research and input, Duke. I'm glad to see you describe it as "tight." Somehow that word came to mind the first time I played one, but I wasn't sure anyone would understand what I was talking about. OK, tight is right!

My repertoire is scant, but it includes several genres. Some fingerpicking like early Donovan; some flatpicking like an early Dylan piece I can't remember the name of or even any of the words (hey, it was the 60s); some old-time, swing-type, all-strings-covered-chords rhythmistic strumming like my dad always plays; and what I guess I'd call some backwoods hick playing (why is that so fun to play?!). Oh, and a very little Led Zep that Brian Ray taught me 40 years ago (Hey baby, you got the love I need). I did a little pro work (on keys) long ago, then got a straight gig, but always figured myself as a musician.

You've got great taste in music. I only play what I like, which is hillbilly! But there are a million classic rock songs I'd like to learn.

PS: I showed my guitar to the guitar tech at Guitar Center, and he's got an Epiphone acoustic, too.

Archived