Gibson Brands Forums

Mini Hummers... do these look legit

Rabs

Yea, I still have the set I took out of my 70's Tribute Firebird.

They have blades instead of pole pieces and are probably hotter, they do have a good sound.

P.S. I am not switching back to minis anytime soon.

487C2FFC-DA97-4DCD-9932-FA840AEF72F5_zpsksxax5oz.jpg

Cheers man...

Well I bought them... thought id give them a go in one of my up and coming builds..

Cost me £60 for the set so I think I got a good deal there :) (assuming they work an all)

You will not be disappointment, they do sound very good.

It made me doubt to switch to P90s but I already had these pickups custom ordered. In the end these P90's are killer and while the minis are great I prefer these P90's.

So they arrived today.. man what a bargain for Gibby pups [thumbup]

A bit lower output than im used to but im sure will sound good anyway.. I took a reading from them

9fe9a39d-ed48-499b-a28f-b35b697694bc_zpsxtbokitu.jpg

DSC_1441_zpsiwqwotss.jpg

So im pretty excited about those.. I will make sure they go in a great build :)

I have a solitary mini in my old Epiphone Rabs, its got loads of poke and bright chime which cuts through the mix and if playing with another guitarist can help differentiate the 2 sounds/tones. to Riffster's point it sounds quite high output though - moderately hot, I'd say (never measured).

As long as you don't expect it to sound like a full humbucker (or a P90 for that matter) I think you'll be pleasantly surprised - stick at it for a while until you are used to its unique qualities would be my tip.

IMG_0524_zpsa443b4e0.jpg

I have a solitary mini in my old Epiphone Rabs, its got loads of poke and bright chime which cuts through the mix and if playing with another guitarist can help differentiate the 2 sounds/tones. to Riffster's point it sounds quite high output though - moderately hot, I'd say (never measured).

As long as you don't expect it to sound like a full humbucker (or a P90 for that matter) I think you'll be pleasantly surprised - stick at it for a while until you are used to its unique qualities would be my tip.

Cheers guys... I am indeed looking forward to getting them in a guitar... I just have to build it first :)

Most pups are 8 ohms.

If I stick a 6 ohm pup in the guitar wouldn't I get more current flow thus louder output? Less resistance means higher current. I=V/R

Are 6 ohm pups louder than 8 ohm pups?

I have little knowledge of pup design but a pup is basically a coil or two coils of wire. Where does the 8 ohm resistance come from in a pup? Generally a wire has low resistance and is either open or closed. Is impedance since this is an AC circuit; a factor?

Anyone care to pontificate?

• 2 weeks later...

I think you are really going to like these Rabs, they sound a bit more powerful than the DC reading would lead you to believe.

So heres another question..

Whats the most suitable pot and cap values for these?

I was just looking through some of the 2015 specs... On their LP Deluxe and Firebird they are using (unless the info is wrong) 500k non linear pots and .22 caps? (which by the way they seem to use on P90s too?)

I was actually thinking of getting 300k pots and .33 caps?

Nice Epi, 'Scales!

[thumbup]

Whats the most suitable pot and cap values for these?...

I was just looking through some of the 2015 specs... On their LP Deluxe and Firebird they are using (unless the info is wrong) 500k non linear pots and .22 caps?...

500k Audio Taper and 0.022 mfd (watch your decimal point, Rabs!) are standard fitment to R9's (for example) so would probably be a good place to start.

P.

Nice Epi, 'Scales!

[thumbup]

500k Audio Taper and 0.022 mfd (watch your decimal point, Rabs!) are standard fitment to R9's (for example) so would probably be a good place to start.

P.

Yeah.. nice one cheers (and yes I meant 0.022 :))

That's what I shall order then [thumbup]

Archived