Gibson Brands Forums

Daddario Nickle Bronze

hojo199

Hi All,

I have been on a string quest for my 1968 J50 since I bought it in January. I finally found a sting that showcases the guitars "thud" without sounding dead and still preserving its balance in the mid-high range. These are the Daddario Nickle-Bronze. The tension is about the same as Martin 80/20 but not as much as PB. Thus, the touch is perfect. They have the NY core that Daddario is always ranting about and hold tune nicely. They are not coated but are very expensive. I also put them on a thuddy Guild (DV52) I own with the same result.

Have any of you tried these strings? What do you think?

I've had a set on my J15 for over two months now. Love them. I enjoy the dry thump I get when damping the lower strings and the lack of overtones compared to other materials. Yes, they are more expensive than most uncoated strings but more than make up for that in longevity.

I slapped a set of lights (I think?) on my J-15. They sound to my ear somewhere between the Martin Retros and the John Pearse Pure Nickels. I have not been able to get past the long break-in period on the Retros, and it was the same with these for me. They were just too flashy-sounding. I was committed and was going to keep them on anyway, but I've been going back and forth between standard, DADGAD, half-step down and full-step down a lot, and I think my g-string nut slot has a catch in it or something. So, the g-string snapped before I could break them in and properly get a feel.

I still have a set of mediums, one of extra-lights (these were free--not sure what to do with them), and I think one or two more lights still. I will give them another go. Maybe I'll just have to play them only in a padded room until they break in.

What I like about the JP Pure Nickels is they are broken-in out of the box. I dislike the Martin Retros for the opposite reason. However, the Pure Nickels themselves are a little dead for some guitars.

I agree the price is a bit outrageous. Are they really that much more expensive to make, or is D'Addario hoping to capitalize on this being the cool thing at the moment?

However, I have noticed that all these nickel-based (or pure nickel in the case of the JPs) strings last pretty much forever and ever. I am a fan of dead strings, it has to be said, but these seem to reach a point and stay there. And unlike 80/20 and PB, they do not seem to pick up corrosion from skin or the environment. So, unless you actually enjoy changing strings frequently, that might off-set the higher cost.

I have to wonder if I'll ever find a string I like. I have mostly given up and realized I just hate the break-in period but have to live with it, because I got a little tired of the Pure Nickels. But there are still many more strings to try...!

The price of these strings turned me off pretty much immediately. Like the OP I had been on a search for a string that really accentuated the guitars low end thump (2014 J45 Standard in my case), that was still nice and balanced, but not dead or rubber band sounding. I settled on DR Rares. Love how they make that low E sound and it's super growly, sound 'broken in' from the get go, and don't have that annoying 'sing' that PB's tend to have for the first day or two. I've also tried Martin Retros (both light and the medium Tony Rice set) on my J45 and it was pretty horrible, but they do sound wonderful on my 000-15m. I've always been a D'Addario fan, but the DR's just sound better on my J45. I'm sure the new Nickel-Bronze are nice strings, but I'm not interested given the price of admission. The added benefit of the DR Rares are they are low tension as well and are way easier to bend than any other string I've had on my guitars.

I've had the NB strings on my LG2 AE for about a month or so- I'm really really diggin' these so far. Great sound- nice feel- Yes a bit spendy- but I'm guessing I will get another month of play out of them at least- so about twice what I get out of my go to EJ16 strings.

All the best

madhat.

I don't like the Nickel Diadarrio's. I just don't. I found the higher strings lose out on high notes. I actually tried them on my J-45 and on my Martin CEO-7.

I wasted money on them. But if you like them stick with them. Everybody has prefs.

Strings are like tires on your car:

1) They need to be rotated or changed

2) They can go flat

3) They break or pop.

4) Some ride/play better than others.

5) Some are louder than others.

6) Some more quiet.

Sometimes its how you drive or play that reflects the sound.

Sometimes it the bone nut pins and saddle that do it

Sometimes its the top-wood or backwood

Who knows really... Strings can be a surprise, mystery or a misery

BTW...Happy Memorial Day!!!! Salute both the Fallen and Standing Soldiers who Served and Serve. Respect and Dignity to You on this Special Day. :D :D :D

Archived