Gibson Brands Forums

The usual modifications

generaldreedle

So I've had my J45 Custom for a couple of years now and was playing with someone and it was lapsing out of tune pretty easily. I brought it in to Dusty Strings here in Seattle and in addition to tightening up the tuners they are going to put in a bone saddle and nut. I am curious about how it will sound like after that, almost like getting a new guitar!

Just try to make sure they include your old nut and saddle when you have it done. I had my Songwriter changed over to bone a couple of years back and I found it was missing something. When I put the Tusq nut and saddle back on it everything I loved about it came back.

I have an L-00 1932 vintage relic model or whatever they call it. It had crapo tuning machines and a tusq nut and plastic bridge pins. I am certain that is what they had on them in 1932, no doubt about it. Put some Kluson tuners and a bone nut on it and I am not looking back. That guitar grew a pair in the process and smokes the sound of any other I've heard and its previous self. Too bad when Gibson makes a guitar that maps for $5499 they use junk parts on it like you might find on a $1500. As with another thread on this forum I am not sure what Gibson is up to other than saving money. Someone will get a really L-00 when I die now though.

Archived