Gibson Brands Forums

"Come Back Again"

BluesKing777

I have fiddled around with this tune a bit over the last couple of weeks, but Friday night I came up with this idea - my solo country blues version of "Come Back Again", a massive hit by a rock band locally called Daddy Cool in 1971.

My version is nothing like their duelling guitar rock, mine is more Mance Lipscomp country blues.

Played on my 1993 Lowden LSE1 (mahogany/sitka) with a new set of boots yesterday...Elixir PB 12s.

BluesKing777.

Never heard it before, so I can't judge it with the dueling guitars version, but maybe hearing the other version would ruin it for me. I like this song as it is. Maybe it's not even similar to the original, but that's okay. This is done in your style and I kind of hear some Mississippi John Hurt in this and at times it reminds me a bit of Commander Cody. I think it's real good and as all of your music, easy-to-listen-to........and I don't care how good of a picker someone is, if you're not easy-to-listen-to I won't listen....Good stuff. [thumbup] [thumbup]

I know the original and this is a fab version.Still true to the melody but beautifully BK'd.Almost as if Daddy Cool stole their song off Mississippi J.H.and BK was playing the original.

Cargill must be sulking in the corner.

What's the Oz songbook you've been using?

Yeah, thanks for the replies!

It is a bit of MJH I played isn't it? And a dash of Skip... then fitted the lyrics over the top.

But my guitar - the projection and separation are just perfect for this type of music, and yes FB, the other guitars are sulking. We have had a massive storm going since I recorded it - about a third of the temperature now and I am not game to look in the cases as they must be groaning and shrinking and....the humidity control Humidipak is thinking: WTF! And I was thinking I might need to cobble a few Hiscox cases together to make a life-raft!

FB, the book is this one - it has every OZ tune that ever came on the radio and few that I have never heard of and the one you want is missing! Cover art by (guitar player) Reg Mombassa is worth the price of admission.

http://www.booktopia.com.au/the-great-australian-songbook-music-sales/prod9780949785305.html?source=pla&gclid=CJ7EsMqsmNMCFU0HvAodfUcLTg

And it is the mahogany/sitka Lowden LSE1 here:

TgqJzB1.jpg

BluesKing777.

Archived