Gibson Brands Forums

My Guitar Version Of "Desperado"

BluesKing777

Talking about the old Gibson L-0 in another thread, so I recorded a ditty or 2.

I have recorded The Eagles" Desperado a couple of times over the years and have been fiddling a bit yesterday with a guitar version (Eagles' version is mainly piano based) and tried it with the capo on the 5th fret for my vocal - and while it is pretty good for voice, it is a stretch on old guitar's intonation! A bit of noise on the recording from my little pinky finger moving on the pickguard...oh well.

So 1937 Gibson L-0, capo 5th fret, Neumann Mic> mixer > iMac.

https://soundcloud.com/bk7-3/desperado-capo5-7b

BluesKing777.

5JzWMrk.jpg

Yeah, that is real sweet. Nice, quiet rendition on one of those legendary songs. Your vocals were excellent to my ears. Wasn't expecting to hear Rondstadt's version or Cash's. Yours is just as personal and easy-on-the-ears......and that is a good-sounding guitar. I like all the single notes. Nice arrangement.

Thanks MP!

I could tighten the arrangement a bit more - I did intend to strum the chords for the last verse and do the end riff immediately after but you know, some fingers kept going and doing their own thing! While it is good to learn different tunes, always handy to have them under the belt.....

BluesKing777.

Really nice recording. Did you run your nuemanns into your boss also or was that just straight into your mixer?

Thanks KW!

I only have one Neumann KM184 and it is an arm's length from me if I sit back in the chair no guitar - aimed up towards my left ear from level with my belt. (It stays there and is actually positioned under my music stand out of the way). It picks up the right hand noise on the guitar a bit there but the vocal and guitar balance are pretty good. I move it up for 'more vocal' in the recording and down for 'less'. I think it gives a more organic mix than if I used 2 mics and ...ha ha...mixed it. (Oh, it was straight to my Allen and Heath 4 channel mixer and USB out to the iMac and Garageband).

Speaking of which, I have 2 Rodes copies of my Neumann mic in a box and a wobbly looking mini mic stand that you use to hold and aim 2 mics in an XY or straight ahead patterns for stereo recording. Wahoo. I had trouble years ago getting it right but I think I am ready to try them again. If it works, I could look at another Neumann KM184 for stereo. But I am extremely pleased with having just the one Neumann!

BluesKing777.

Well I know you have said many times that you really like that km184. But I thought I read that you had two of them from earlier posts. Those are some powerful mics, but for that price they better be huh?

I don't want to be accused of just 'photographing' the little group of guitars I have! [biggrin]

So I get to recording them. Now if I was starting again down the road of recording guitar/vocals, I would cancel all other 'buys' including various extra guitars, and get the Neumann KM184 mic before anything else! Just perfect. (I should try the mic direct to the soundcard of the computer (without the mixer, which is great too).

All the other stuff they say on recording threads must be for recording bands! Not needed.

But yeah, 2 of the Neumanns might be too much of a good thing.

BluesKing777.

Archived