Gibson Brands Forums

Burstbucker 1&2 or 2&3?

Awesome Possum

Hey all,

I did a search on this but came up short handed. I was recently given a Gibson Burstbucker 2, and would like to use it with another Gibson pickup to replace the stock pickups in my Epiphone Les Paul Custom. My question is: What are the differences between putting it in the bridge position with a BB1 in the neck compared to putting it in the neck position with a BB3 in the bridge position? I have tried googling it, youtube for sound, etc - but cant find a direct comparison.

For context: I play everything from Zep to 90s alt rock (Collective Soul, I Mother Earth, etc) to metal (using a Morpheus Drop Tune). I run it through a Fender Princeton with several different effects, including a Marshal Jackhammer, Tube Screamer, and Tube King.

Cheers,

Derek

Hey all,

I did a search on this but came up short handed. I was recently given a Gibson Burstbucker 2, and would like to use it with another Gibson pickup to replace the stock pickups in my Epiphone Les Paul Custom. My question is: What are the differences between putting it in the bridge position with a BB1 in the neck compared to putting it in the neck position with a BB3 in the bridge position? I have tried googling it, youtube for sound, etc - but cant find a direct comparison.

For context: I play everything from Zep to 90s alt rock (Collective Soul, I Mother Earth, etc) to metal (using a Morpheus Drop Tune). I run it through a Fender Princeton with several different effects, including a Marshal Jackhammer, Tube Screamer, and Tube King.

Cheers,

Derek

The BB 3 hasn't worked for me- or I haven't found the right guitar for it- a bit too bright, maybe a little brash sounding.

the BB2 and BB1 sound great together, I have that in my Les Paul. No complaints. The BB1 is pretty weak.

If you can solder just stick her in and see if she sounds good.

The main thing will be if she is balanced with the other pup, you can use a multimeter to see the ohm impedance, and the bridge pup should always be higher impedance than the neck. Don´t worry if you don´t have a multimeter, I have placed unbalanced pups and my ear always lets me know. I just take them back out and reinstall the other ones. Ofcourse that I have a lot of pickups lying around ha!

Personally I don´t like Burstbuckers, but thats just me.

• 3 weeks later...

I actually really like the 1/2 combination. I think the amps have a tendency to respond a bit better to them. But, there you go. It is all in the opinion of the player...

No right answers to this one.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Hey all,

Cheers,

Derek

Archived