Gibson Guitar Board: Gibson Guitar Wood Type Question - Gibson Guitar Board

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Gibson Guitar Wood Type Question

#1 User is offline   MrAwesome 

• Group: Members

Posted 14 March 2011 - 02:28 AM

How come Custom shop Gibson guitars are made with the best wood, and most expensive wood, yet they have alot of those woody circles and wood lines all over the body, and makes it look kinda messy

examples
these are 1960 Gibson Custom 50th Anniversary Standards

http://www.themusicz..._PP_V1_17_1.jpg

http://1484.bz/shibu...200-00089/4.jpg

unlike the Gibson USA shop ones or the more modern 2007-2008 models which is still really good wood, not the best in shop compared to the Custom wood but theres dont have all those crazy wood line designs all over the wood, I don't get it doesnt it look nicer with out all those crazy wood lines all over over the guitar? which would you perfer and what looks nicer too you?

example
2007 USA standard
http://s307.photobuc...nt=100_0788.jpg

2008 standard
http://www.rainbowgu...hsch1-xl-02.jpg

Im talking about the wood it self not the flame top

Im not talking about the flame top, Im talking about the wood it self

look at the USA shop
2008 wood (not the flame just the wood, no wood designs at all)
http://www.rainbowgu...hsch1-xl-02.jpg

compare it too a

Custom Shop which has alot more detail
http://1484.bz/shibu...200-00089/4.jpg

soo the wood with detail from the custom shop is better wood? would you say it looks better or the same?

#2 User is offline   pippy 

• LocationLondon, U.K.

Posted 14 March 2011 - 03:24 AM

View PostMrAwesome, on 14 March 2011 - 02:28 AM, said:

How come Custom shop Gibson guitars are made with the best wood, and most expensive wood, yet they have alot of those woody circles and wood lines all over the body, and makes it look kinda messy

unlike the Gibson USA shop ones or the more modern 2007-2008 models which is still really good wood, not the best in shop compared to the Custom wood but theres dont have all those crazy wood line designs all over the wood, I don't get it doesnt it look nicer with out all those crazy wood lines all over over the guitar? which would you perfer and what looks nicer too you?

Im talking about the wood it self not the flame top

Im not talking about the flame top, Im talking about the wood it self

look at the USA shop - 2008 wood (not the flame just the wood, no wood designs at all)

soo the wood with detail from the custom shop is better wood? would you say it looks better or the same?

I'd say I very much like a lot of those kinda messy "woody circles and wood lines" and "crazy wood line designs".

P.

#3 User is offline   Farnsbarns 

• Antelope
  • LocationGodstone, Surrey, England

Posted 14 March 2011 - 04:53 AM

I think the lines are due to slower growth in the wood which makes it better tone wood.
The early worm get's caught. Are you sure you're the bird?

Farns

#4 User is offline   Versatile 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationUK

Posted 14 March 2011 - 05:14 AM

My favourite luthier Gordon Smith purposely uses up all offcuts for reasons of conservation

And the ability to produce handmade great sounding guitars at a reasonable price

Which have great character and often look beautiful....

V

:-({|=
Fiddling at the Pearly Gates
or somewhere
Lower and Warmer....

I like kayaking....it really floats my boat....

I dig most stuff....

#5 User is offline   BillyGibson 

• Advanced Member

Posted 14 March 2011 - 05:24 AM

Here's my Trad Plus. Looks every bit as good as a custom shop at a fraction of the price.
The top is supposed to be AA grade maple. Looks AAA to me, but that's all subjective.

Posted Image

All guitars are made out of tree wood. There are interviews in the 40th Annual
Les Paul Book that discuss even back in the 70's Gibson would use whatever wood
was available. There are so many varieties within the mahagony and maple families
across the different continents. Or the wood grain and densities are very close to
these that they get the label of mahagony and maple.

Let your ears decide which one sounds better, your hands decide which one feels
better and your eyes decide which one looks better. Of course your wallet gets
a vote too and maybe your wife. [rolleyes]

#6 User is offline   BigKahune 

• Just plain Member
  • LocationEarth

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:44 AM

How come Custom shop Gibson guitars are made with the best wood, and most expensive wood, yet they have alot of those woody circles and wood lines all over the body, and makes it look kinda messy ... Im talking about the wood it self not the flame top

You are talking about two separate but related aspects of wood grain: 1) Graining - this is the part of the wood that makes the darker lines in the wood - the grain is from the tree rings. 2) Figuring - this term refers to grain distortions in the wood that create visible shapes that usually aren't part of the normal graining - curl (aka curly, flamed or fiddleback), quilted, bird's eye, spalted, blister, burl, and dimple (a few examples).

The play between the graining and figuring can vary - some wood has graining but not figuring, some wood has the graining more visible than the figuring lighter, some wood has the figuring more visible than the grainging, and some wood has the graining and figuring at about the same visibililty.

The grade of the wood is a way of defining how much figuring a piece of wood has: grade A has very little and grade AAAAA is the highest leve of figuring, fully and tightly figured to the edge with no bare spots. Figuring doesn't have anything to do with the graining.

Now some, like yourself, prefer the graning to be less visible, and some like to see the play between the graining and the figuring. Some don't like figuring at all. It's a matter of taste.

You can check out some Gibson figuring grades here - http://forum.gibson....188#entry877188

View PostBillyGibson, on 14 March 2011 - 05:24 AM, said:

Here's my Trad Plus. ... The top is supposed to be AA grade maple. Looks AAA to me, but that's all subjective. ...

Looks AA to me - the figuring runs out between the center and the edges. AAA would have hardly any run out spots.

Here's a AAA graded by Gibson -
Posted Image
13 Gibson CS Advanced Jumbo R/Spruce..O12 Gibson Southern Jumbo TV....O11 RainSong JM-3000 12-string
11 Martin 000-15M Elderly LE....................O10 Gibson ES-359......................o10 Rickenbacker 360 12-string
09 Jackson PC-1.....................................O09 Fender 52 Telecaster AVS..ooO08 Gibson SJ-200 (Colosi S/P)
08 Gibson Robot SG LTD........................oO08 Fender Am/Dlx Stratocaster.....08 Gibson Songwriter Deluxe 12-string
08 Gibson Les Paul Push Tone...................o07 Guild F412 12-sting..............oo07 Taylor NS74ce
07 Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II.....................o98 Martin D-45VR.....................oo97 Guild X-700 Stuart
73 Yamaha G-55A......................................65 Gibson Melody Maker..............Amps: Bogner Alchemist (Head/212Cab)
Keyboard: 06 Yamaha DGX220............................................................................o Line6 Spider Jam & Micro Spider

#7 User is offline   LPguitarman 

• RUSH Fan
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 14 March 2011 - 11:21 AM

I personally like all of them. The wood grain and mineral lines make it even better. I don't see it as better or worse wood. It's just the way the grain is in the particular piece.
Posted Image
<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Guitars:

2007 Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique GOW#2
2013 Gibson Songwriter Deluxe Studio EC Acoustic/Electric

Pedals:

Original Cry Baby Wah
Morley Power Wah Boost
DOD Stereo Chorus
BOSS DD-3 Delay
DOD Flanger
MXR 6-Band Equalizer
BOSS Acoustic Simulator
BOSS Chromatic Tuner
BOSS Compression / Sustainer
DOD Grunge
MXR EVH Phase 90
Original Voice Box
(2) Pedal Boards to hold it all (1) SKB & (1) Boss

Amp:

50 Watt Peavey Classic VT Series 2x12 w/ Scorpion speakers

#8 User is offline   Tim Plains 

• Addict

Posted 14 March 2011 - 11:54 AM

Look at all the vintage bursts here and notice how many, if not most, "look kind of messy." http://www.burstserial.com/
You should also read up on the various ways of cutting wood because that also explains a lot. There's a great Les Paul book called "Beauty of the Burst" that explains the differences between quarter sawn, rift sawn, etc.

The ones that you describe as nicer are ugly/boring to me with little/no character.
Tim

#9 User is offline   Franzi 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Customer Service Team

Posted 16 March 2011 - 09:51 AM

A flame top with parrallel lines appeals to the eye and often looks spectacular. But I like the "messy" ones as well, they have personality!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users