Gibson Brands Forums

Need Help Identifying Year on Gibson J-45 ADJ

sfab16a2

The top is worn, and the what's going on with the headstock - cigarette burns? . . No back pics.

Still, if it plays well and sounds good, it's worth some money, to the right buyer maybe $1,200 or more, "as is". A bit of reasonable restoration might jack that up quite a bit. I'm sure members better versed in the J-45 market will chime in.

Yeah those are cigarette burns on the headstock...looks like original finish. Someone played the hell outta it! Justin.

The fact someone played the h... out of it is a sign it is a great playing guitar. BTW, the 2010 Vintage Guitar guide says a 1959 Sunburst J-45 is worth $3700-4100. I wouldn't be too worried about the worn finish...like I said, it sends the message this guitar is one to be played. Someone would possible tell you the finish condition wears down the price, but not necessarily. Rather, refinishing it would bring down the price in the vintage guitar collectible market. That guitar is broken in for sure and the real deal. A real keeper if you ask me.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

• 4 years later...

Hello there,

I have had this fine cherry red sunburst Gibson J45 ADJ for 25 years now.

It came from New York City and I remember the seller (now deceased) said it was from 1961 but there is NO serial number whatsoever.

An ink stamp does say 'J45 ADJ' inside the body but this is the only information I have got.

Another unusual feature is that the bridge is the wrong way around.

Other than that it sound warm and fine.

Does anyone have any idea what year it might be?

Thanks

Doc

post-79087-039446400 1465189432_thumb.jpg

I really didn't think they made the ADJ bridge as early as 1959, but the serial # doesn't lie. Wonder if it's the first year for that bridge on the J-45?

Available as an option late '55, first catalogued '56,

Hi Doc. The thicker pickguard says mid '60s, and the down bridge '68 if they are original. The serial number during that period would have been stamped in the back of the headstock.

Edit. My brother has a '68 without any serial number as well.

Hello good newbies, hello - a couple highly exciting J-45's there.

I have a 1959, but would like to trade it for an early 60's adj. ceramic saddled cherry.

The 2 64'ers I've played were sublime - my particular 59'er is far more down to earth.

Doc - you hereby receive an imaginary hurrah for the Ono-box behind.

Archived