Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson BJA LP Jr 3 piece body!! Not happy :(

stratslinger

When I bought my Gibson BJA LP jr early last year, I chose it above the standard junior's because of features such as an ebony fretboard, but specifically a one piece body (this is clearly detailed as one of the features of this instrument)

Gibson Billie Joe Armstrong Product details

I have now discovered to my total disbelief and disappointment that my guitar is a three piece!! I feel incredibly disappointed,cheated and also angry that Gibson have misrepresented the product on it's site. Whlist I can accept certain bits of hardware may vary slightly, the construction should be 100 percent as described. I am not happy and have raised a complaint through the dealer and Gibson directly.

Has anyone else had experience of this or thoughts on my guitar not being constructed as per the key features advertised???

First, congrats on your new guitar, I looked over at the Gibson description and it looks pretty darn cool. I'm sorry that you feel misled, but in reality I believe you misinterpreted the specs. Not even once does Gibson claim that the guitar is a one piece mahogany body, only that it is a solid mahogany body. Your guitar is made from three pieces of solid mahogany. Don't stress it, play the guitar and enjoy it...the majority of electric guitars produced are not a single piece of wood, even many that cost more than double yours.

My 1961 Melody Maker-D has a 3-piece body, as do 2 of my 3 Stratocasters, and they all sound and play just as well as my 2-piece bodies. I would take a 2-piece over a 1-piece body any day (and if you look at interferometer patterns of bookmatched instrument tops, you will appreciate why...).

J/W

B)

Thanks for the replies . . .

follow my link on the original post and it is very clearly specified that it is a one piece mahogany body (half way down on the right)

copied and pasted . . .

Product Features

•One-piece solid Mahogany body

•Rosewood fingerboard (Ebony on Classic White) with acrylic dot inlays

•Powerful single coil P-90H pickup

•Nickel plated wraparound Tailpiece/Bridge

•Leopard Spot Print Gibson Hardshell case

I appreciate opinions on two piece and so on, but a feature of the BJA is 'one-piece solid Mahogany body'. This is what I expected to buy - if it stated bookmatched two piece, I would expect that - I really do not expect a three piece, which in my opinion is far inferior to one piece (which obviously is a reason for stating it as a product feature).

I have already contacted both the dealer and Gibson so will see what they have to say.

Thanks for the replies . . .

follow my link on the original post and it is very clearly specified that it is a one piece mahogany body (half way down on the right)

copied and pasted . . .

Product Features

•One-piece solid Mahogany body

•Rosewood fingerboard (Ebony on Classic White) with acrylic dot inlays

•Powerful single coil P-90H pickup

•Nickel plated wraparound Tailpiece/Bridge

•Leopard Spot Print Gibson Hardshell case

I appreciate opinions on two piece and so on, but a feature of the BJA is 'one-piece solid Mahogany body'. This is what I expected to buy - if it stated bookmatched two piece, I would expect that - I really do not expect a three piece, which in my opinion is far inferior to one piece (which obviously is a reason for stating it as a product feature).

I have already contacted both the dealer and Gibson so will see what they have to say.

[blush] I apologize for not having followed the link before posting. If that's what Gibson advertised and you thought you were buying when you put your money down, that's what you should have received.

No question...

J/W

8-[

It's rare for Gibson USA to have a one piece body, especially one at the price range of a junior. I don't know what they were thinking listing that guitar as a single piece.

Really, three piece bodies are not a big deal. My SG has three pieces and it sounds and plays well. What do you expect for the money?

EDIT: Also, I've noticed they have stopped using the vintage strip tuners in favor of the individual Kluston styled tuners. I assume Gibson has just downgraded the guitar and has yet to update it's page.

It's rare for Gibson USA to have a one piece body, especially one at the price range of a junior. I don't know what they were thinking listing that guitar as a single piece.

Really, three piece bodies are not a big deal. My SG has three pieces and it sounds and plays well. What do you expect for the money?

EDIT: Also, I've noticed they have stopped using the vintage strip tuners in favor of the individual Kluston styled tuners. I assume Gibson has just downgraded the guitar and has yet to update it's page.

thats why these guitars are SEVERAL hundred dollars more than the standard LP Jrs. If he wanted a multi piece unit, he could have saved a few hundred $$ and bought one. I say take it back.

You have a good point. If it was me, I'd pressure Gibson Customer Service. They might replace the guitar. They're not going to give you your money back or make a one piece guitar for you, but they might find you a one piece unit (not sure how you can tell how many pieces with a painted guitar).

Like with anything, you should decide what you want to happen and pursue that goal. Don't complain just for the sake of complaining.

I'm sure that somewhere on the Gibson website it says "Specifications subject to change at our discretion" or something like that.

Good luck.

You have a good point. If it was me, I'd pressure Gibson Customer Service. They might replace the guitar. They're not going to give you your money back or make a one piece guitar for you, but they might find you a one piece unit (not sure how you can tell how many pieces with a painted guitar).

Like with anything, you should decide what you want to happen and pursue that goal. Don't complain just for the sake of complaining.

I'm sure that somewhere on the Gibson website it says "Specifications subject to change at our discretion" or something like that.

Good luck.

Yes it does say that, I read it last night.

thats why these guitars are SEVERAL hundred dollars more than the standard LP Jrs. If he wanted a multi piece unit, he could have saved a few hundred $$ and bought one. I say take it back.

No, I'm pretty sure you pay the extra bucks for the Billie Joe signature and slanted tailpiece. It's the same guitar.

If you don't like the guitar, take it back to Gibson for false advertising if the dealer won't help you.

Sorry to hear about your dissappointment. I believe the disclaimer

regarding "specs subject to change" is new for 2012. So now it's

buyer beware...

Since you bought it in 2011, I'm not certain the disclaimer was used.

Perhaps you could make a case with Gibson directly? The retailers

rely on their descriptions and are probably still using the old one.

Then the question arises, what is a reasonable period of time for

discovery? And then, a question could be made, did you have the

opportunity to inspect it prior to purchasing it?

It's a long shot if you're looking for a replacement or compensation.

I wouldn't expect any open dialogue from them though. That would be

admitting fault on their part and they have enough legal issues at the

moment.

Archived