• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Steve Clark Edition?

#1 User is offline   Charles J. White 

• Group: Members
  • LocationThe Colony

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:40 PM

Posted ImageSteve Clark founding member of Def Leppard was a Gibson fanatic, a lot of us picked up a guitar because of Clark - he was a very unique player who basically played nothing but Gibson except for the odd time. I understand that Steve was even buried with one of his guitars. Phil Collen, his bandmate still has one of his guitars, and knew exactly what he liked for a setup. His fiancée Lorelei Shellist also has a few of his guitars, and his younger brother Chris has some of his guitars. I think Joe Elliott singer of Leppard even has one of his guitars. Perhaps it is time that Gibson put out a Steve Clark edition? The right people that knew exactly what he liked are still alive, as is his former guitar tech Malvin Moretimer. Any chance of this happening?

Posted Image

Posted Image
Is there anything more fun then a pocket full of twizzlers and a left handed Gibson?

#2 User is offline   btoth76 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationLeányvár, Hungary

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:52 AM

Hello Charles! It's good to know I am not alone with my suggestion. As with the Randy Rhoads signature, I've been harrassing Gibson with the Steve Clark signature for a while now. The Randy Rhoads signature appeared, let's hope (and keep pushing them) maybe one they our wish will come true. Cheers... Bence

2010 Gibson LP Studio 50's Tribute GT - 2011 Gibson LP Classic Custom AN - 1978 Gibson LP Recording WB - 2011 Gibson L6S SB
2010 Fender FSR Standard Ash Telecaster Butterscotch Blonde (Baja modded)

Böhm-Regent amplification
VOX Wah V845 - Ibanez effects - Zoom MS-50G - Stereo Tremolo Pan - EP Booster - Diablo Plus
Bayus straps (http://bayus.eu)

#3 User is offline   btoth76 

• Advanced Member

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:48 AM

View Postguitarest, on 10 January 2012 - 02:55 AM, said:

I'm sorry this is what Gibson needs yet another Signature release of a normal LP and attach a artist name so it can be sold more than twice the original inflated amount the un-named guitar would cost.

Well, hard to argue with Your statement..I'll be honest with You: I was sending mails to Gibson quite a lot of them to recreate Randy Rhoads' '74 LP - although I already knew that I'll never have the change to own one. Neither I would be able to buy a Steve Clark model or any other signatures. But some are able and probably will buy these. It's a matter of respect in my opinion. These great players are worth remembering, and carve their names in stone, or - in this case - in wood. That's all. I know it's purely business for Gibson - not even a bad one, but I don't care. It really doesn't bothers me if someone is earning big money - I care for my own business. Anything that keeps the memory of these fantastic artists and celebrates them are worth creating it. Cheers...Bence

2010 Gibson LP Studio 50's Tribute GT - 2011 Gibson LP Classic Custom AN - 1978 Gibson LP Recording WB - 2011 Gibson L6S SB

VOX Wah V845 - Ibanez effects - Zoom MS-50G - Stereo Tremolo Pan - EP Booster - Diablo Plus

#4 User is offline   btoth76 

• Advanced Member

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:52 AM

Just one more thing: You can't call the Randy Rhoads guitar a regular LP, since it's a perfect recrearion of Norlin LP, a guitar which is not in production anymore in that way of construction...Neither would be a Steve Clark model, due to the tremolo bar and pickup configuration. Cheers...Bence

#5 User is offline   lashurst 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationBirmingham. UK

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:39 AM

It's all down to money. I can't get over there being a Clapton Les Paul. He no longer has and he only plays Strats. Stupid.

#6 User is offline   brantobrien 

• Advanced Member

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:35 AM

View Postbtoth76, on 10 January 2012 - 04:48 AM, said:

It's a matter of respect in my opinion. These great players are worth remembering, and carve their names in stone, or - in this case - in wood.

I have to agree with your statement. I understand that many of these signature models are driving a market that seems insane and not for "guitar players." The reality is that these guitars are not really meant for players, but rather collectors. The collector market is not going to be large and vocal, but when they buy an outrageously priced guitar, they do help to keep Gibson in business. Sell as many signature models that you like Gibson, but remember that your core market is players and that we need quality instruments. As for the Clapton signature model, that guitar is iconic. Thank God they finally put it out. I can't and won't disrespect that guitar or anyone that came forward and bought one.

#7 User is offline   Charles J. White 

• LocationThe Colony

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:52 AM

Here are a few of things that he had done to some of his Gibson's: Kahler temolo units, coil top switches to divide out the pickups, GHS Boomers strings, lock in nut a the top of the arm to keep things from getting to wild, dimarzio pick ups, softer metal picks.

From what I understand Gibson had a very good relationship with Clark. Bizzare that no Steve Clark Edition is out yet
Is there anything more fun then a pocket full of twizzlers and a left handed Gibson?

#8 User is offline   CaptainNemo68 

• Rock and Roll Machine
  • LocationLes Paul-ville

Posted 11 January 2012 - 07:32 AM

Did Steve play a double cut Hamer early on? I thought it was a Les Paul but maybe not.
If you don't wanna rock, then get out of my way

#9 User is offline   Gary Moore Tribute 

• "The K-ON! Guitarist"
  • LocationUK

Posted 11 January 2012 - 07:39 AM

From my point of view If you want a Signature Guitar by your favourite artist, find a guitar in the nearest finish and modify it to the specs yourself.

Half the time you just need to change some cosmetics which costs next to nothing, however even if you need to change the pickups and some electronics your not looking at over Ł100 to do it.

The result is a VERY personal Guitar and one that very few would ever own BUT at an affordable price...
The Gary Moore & Joe Bonamassa Blues Player
Posted Image
Gibson Les Paul Standard 08 DB Joe Bonamassa (Signed)
Chapman Guitars ML-1 #21 Crunchie ASB
Fender Mustang 69 MH CAR | Jazz Bass 50th Anniversary 62 3TB (Japan)

#10 User is offline   lashurst 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationBirmingham. UK

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:47 PM

I want a 'Seasick Steve' sig guitar. Hang on...I've got a bit of wood in the shed!!

#11 User is offline   IMtech 

Posted 12 January 2012 - 06:28 PM

Attached Image: White 3 Pickup Les Paul.jpg

The white Les Paul Custom would be a seriously cool guitar as a gibson tribute. No artist or Gibson model since Steve seems to have adopted the 3 pickup custom with cream surrounds/selector switch and pickguard. Here's my version without the trem and pickguard - I prefer the pickguard removed and I could not bring myself to retro fit a Kahler! I kind of hope Gibson don't re-release so I continue to have a fairly unique guitar.

#12 User is offline   DestructorsKillMusic1982 

• Advanced Member

Posted 13 January 2012 - 11:47 AM

I still don't get why there's a Chad Kroeger model, when the guy plays PRS almost exclusively in any of the videos I've seen. And I begrudgingly admit I like the Blackwater (nice finish), although I'd hate having to think of Nickelback every time I picked it up.

I thought one of the problems that arose with making a Steve Clark model was almost all of his Les Pauls were scattered to the four corners of the earth after his death (I thought his widow and/or estate sold off most of them.)
2001 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Wine Red w/ Dimarzio Virtual PAF & Super Distortion p/u's
1996 Gibson Les Paul Studio, Alpine White
2011 Gibson Les Paul Studio 60's Tribute, Faded Cherry Sunburst
2005 Gibson Les Paul Studio, Ebony, w/ Seymour Duncan Custom 5 p/u
1982 Gibson "The Paul" Firebrand, burgundy, w/ brass Kahler tremolo
1993 Gibson SG Standard, Classic White
1973 Gibson SG Standard, natural, w/3 p/u's & Bigsby vibrato
1998 Gibson SG Special, black, w/Maestro vibrato & Dimarzio 36 PAF p/u
1997 Gibson SG-X, refinished in faded classic white, black pearloid pickguard added
2001 Gibson SG Gothic, black
2007 Gibson SG-3, black, Guitar of the Week #30, w/ Dimarzio Blue Velvet, Seymour Duncan JB Jr. & Fender p/u's
1972 Gibson SG-I, refinished in black
2007 Gibson Flying V '84 reissue, silverburst, Guitar of the Week #40
2006 Gibson Explorer, black, w/ TP-6 bridge
2012 Gibson Firebird 70s Tribute, vintage sunburst
1975 Gibson Marauder, natural w/Seymour Duncan '59 p/u
1981 Gibson Sonex 180 Deluxe w/ Seymour Duncan Invader & Dimarzio Super Distortion p/u's
199? ESP Custom Shop M-I, graphic finish (from Warren Demartini's 'Frenchie' Charvel), w/ EMG 81 p/u
1998 ESP M-II Deluxe, black, w/ Seymour Duncan JB p/u
200? Fender Stratocaster (probably MIM), olympic white
1987 Aria Pro II SL ST-3 w/Epiphone Alnico V p/u
198? Kaman GTX 33, purple/rainbow tiger-stripe graphic finish
1987 Epiphone S-400, w/Floyd Rose, EMG 81 p/u & Dimarzio HS-2 & HS-3 p/u's
1972 Epiphone Classic EC-23A nylon-string classical acoustic
200? Ibanez acoustic-electric, black
196? Elger 12-string flat-top acoustic
194? Broman Pride archtop f-hole acoustic
197? Vantage bass
199? Steinberger Spirit bass

Marshall JCM900 Model 4100 100w head
Marshall 1960A 4x12" cabinet
Marshall 1936 2x12" cabinet
Peavey Vypyr 30w 1x12" w/ Sanpera I
Line 6 Spider IV 15w 1x8"

#13 User is offline   ClarkOVision 

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:51 PM

I posted on the old Gibson forum about this years ago.... there was some interest in the idea but I think as far as Gibson were concerned it fell on deaf ears??

Would love a Steve Clark edition simply because it would be a fine tribute to a fine musician. But to authorise a Signature guitar what do you need to do? Do Gibson have to obtain permission from people such as his family or other band mates or is that something that they could just go and create?

To answer a couple of the question from above...

- Yes, in the early days Clark played a Hamer double cutaway guitar (special) and the Gibson Explorer look-a-like - the Hamer standard.

- Clark's family have apparently got most of his guitars, Collen and Elliott have one and his ex-fiancee Lorelei Shellist has a couple of his guitars. At the time of Steve's death his girlfriend of the time, Janie Dean, was alleged to have stolen some of his guitars from his London home and sold them off.

And also at the time of his death Clark was believed to have some more guitars on order from Gibson... however I cannot confirm if this is 100% accurate, but it would be likely given he had an endorsement with Gibson.

Steve Clark was also iconic with the Gibson Firebird and had a couple of these customised from Gibson too. He was ultra-cool.

The best place I know of on the web for info on Steve's guitars and gear is on this very cool fan website: http://www.steveclarkguitar.com

I for one would love to see a Clark signature out there.

#14 User is offline   CaptainNemo68 

• Rock and Roll Machine
  • LocationLes Paul-ville

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:19 AM

Thanks for the info Vision
If you don't wanna rock, then get out of my way

#15 User is offline   brownovich 

Posted 15 January 2012 - 04:57 AM

Hurrah, it's not just me that thinks this is a great idea. TOTALLY disagree that this would just be "Another" signature les paul.

I absolutely agree that most Les Paul Signature models these days are nothing more than a standard LP with a fancy paint job. (Billy Morrison. WTF?)

But this would be something totally different from the rest of the LP range, and would produce a real variety of tones. My suggestion would be:

Steve Clark WHITE LIGHTNING Tribute Les Paul based on his white les paul custom, which was his main stage guitar during the Hysteria tour.
Triple pickup Les Paul Custom in Antique White (not available as a standard LP - only black beauty and Peter Framton is available with 3 pickups)
I'd have a slight mod from the original guitar and have Dirty Finger pickup in the bridge (as per his black les paul) with 2 '59s in the middle and neck positions.
A coil tap to switch from humbucking to single coil
I'd also take another element from the black les paul and add his signature at the 12th Fret
And finally a Kahler trem which was really important in getting some of those tones that he got on hysteria, not massive dive bombs, but smooth vibrato. Hardly any LP with trems, and none with a Kahler.

Check out http://www.steveclar...ourGuitars.html and you'll see that not only is it a stunning guitar, but it's got some really unique features that you can't get on Standard Les Pauls.

#16 User is offline   Charles J. White 

• LocationThe Colony

Posted 15 January 2012 - 05:26 PM

If anyone at Gibson is reading this, and you need contact info to make this special edition guitar happen, I have the firm that is in charge of Steve's estate, and some contact info for his parents who look after the estate through the firm.

Here is Steve in all of his glory:

My link

And

My link

And

My link

And

My link

#17 User is offline   Charles J. White 

• LocationThe Colony

Posted 15 January 2012 - 05:28 PM

And yes the dirty fingers could be an option!

#18 User is offline   DestructorsKillMusic1982 

• Advanced Member

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:50 AM

Even if I couldn't afford it, I'd love to see a Steve Clark tribute LP or Firebird as well, he was a big influence on me early on and got me wanting Gibsons at a time when everyone else in hard rock and metal (barring Slash and Izzy) were playing import dayglo superstrats. RIP Steve :)
2001 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Wine Red w/ Dimarzio Virtual PAF & Super Distortion p/u's
1996 Gibson Les Paul Studio, Alpine White
2011 Gibson Les Paul Studio 60's Tribute, Faded Cherry Sunburst
2005 Gibson Les Paul Studio, Ebony, w/ Seymour Duncan Custom 5 p/u
1982 Gibson "The Paul" Firebrand, burgundy, w/ brass Kahler tremolo
1993 Gibson SG Standard, Classic White
1973 Gibson SG Standard, natural, w/3 p/u's & Bigsby vibrato
1998 Gibson SG Special, black, w/Maestro vibrato & Dimarzio 36 PAF p/u
1997 Gibson SG-X, refinished in faded classic white, black pearloid pickguard added
2001 Gibson SG Gothic, black
2007 Gibson SG-3, black, Guitar of the Week #30, w/ Dimarzio Blue Velvet, Seymour Duncan JB Jr. & Fender p/u's
1972 Gibson SG-I, refinished in black
2007 Gibson Flying V '84 reissue, silverburst, Guitar of the Week #40
2006 Gibson Explorer, black, w/ TP-6 bridge
2012 Gibson Firebird 70s Tribute, vintage sunburst
1975 Gibson Marauder, natural w/Seymour Duncan '59 p/u
1981 Gibson Sonex 180 Deluxe w/ Seymour Duncan Invader & Dimarzio Super Distortion p/u's
199? ESP Custom Shop M-I, graphic finish (from Warren Demartini's 'Frenchie' Charvel), w/ EMG 81 p/u
1998 ESP M-II Deluxe, black, w/ Seymour Duncan JB p/u
200? Fender Stratocaster (probably MIM), olympic white
1987 Aria Pro II SL ST-3 w/Epiphone Alnico V p/u
198? Kaman GTX 33, purple/rainbow tiger-stripe graphic finish
1987 Epiphone S-400, w/Floyd Rose, EMG 81 p/u & Dimarzio HS-2 & HS-3 p/u's
1972 Epiphone Classic EC-23A nylon-string classical acoustic
200? Ibanez acoustic-electric, black
196? Elger 12-string flat-top acoustic
194? Broman Pride archtop f-hole acoustic
197? Vantage bass
199? Steinberger Spirit bass

Marshall JCM900 Model 4100 100w head
Marshall 1960A 4x12" cabinet
Marshall 1936 2x12" cabinet
Peavey Vypyr 30w 1x12" w/ Sanpera I

#19 User is offline   RUSHian 

• Advanced Member

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:20 AM

He was a great influence on my playing style, and I'd love to see his signature guitar.
[Posted Image
"If you don't stand for something, You'll fall for anything"

#20 User is offline   Charles J. White 

• LocationThe Colony

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:10 PM

He influenced a great deal of individuals and yet because he played with feel and vibe instead of speed and flash he is ignored.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users