Gibson Brands Forums

pot specs

Das Vagabund

The standard for an Epi humbucker arrangement (and most HB equipped guitar for that matter) is B500K (linear taper) for volumes and A500K (audio taper) for the tones, I'm not sure if the Bonamassa deviates from this or not.

Most pots have their value either stamped on the back of the casing, or printed on the circuit board (PCB) portion of the pot (the part the lugs are riveted to). To see if it's stamped on the PCB the pot will have to be unscrewed and flipped over though.

I just read somewhere that the volume pots are supposed to be 300K and the tone pots 500K for the Bonamassa, but upon removing them and measuring, the guy found them all to be 500K, so it seems a bit of a mystery thus far, probably best to look for some identifying marks as mentioned above just to be sure anyway.

I just read somewhere that the volume pots are supposed to be 300K and the tone pots 500K for the Bonamassa, but upon removing them and measuring, the guy found them all to be 500K, so it seems a bit of a mystery thus far, probably best to look for some identifying marks as mentioned above just to be sure anyway.

Same here... I don't have one so I don't know.

This is what the main site says:

Controls

The Joe Bonamassa Les Paul uses an independent Volume control each both pickup, which consists of a quality 300K linear potentiometer for a smooth, natural volume roll-off. The guitar also carries two independent Tone controls, each consisting of a 500K non-linear potentiometer and a .022uF tone capacitor for a smooth, natural transition from bright to warm as the control is rolled counter-clockwise.

Info came from here:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Epiphone/Joe-Bonamassa-Les-Paul-Goldtop/Pickups-and-Electronics.aspx

Willy

thnx m8! thought i had read they were 300k too but couldn't find the stuff i read again... read it back in october when i got the guitar. i'm ponderin the thought of putting Bill Lawrence pups in it... maybe the L90's or the L500XL's. the latter requires 500k pots is why i ask.

thanks again!

i'm ponderin the thought of putting Bill Lawrence pups in it... maybe the L90's and they require 500k pots is why i ask.

There is nothing set in stone about pot values for particular pups, pretty much any pup will work with any value. The difference the pot value makes is in how much of the highs they bleed off, smaller values will cut more highs than higher valued ones, that's why most single coils use 250K pots to bleed off more of the highs, and HBs normally use 500K to allow more highs to get through. But anything between 250K and 1M should be able to be used successfully with any pickup, just depends on how bright you want them to sound.

There is nothing set in stone about pot values for particular pups, pretty much any pup will work with any value. The difference the pot value makes is in how much of the highs they bleed off, smaller values will cut more highs than higher valued ones, that's why most single coils use 250K pots to bleed off more of the highs, and HBs normally use 500K to allow more highs to get through. But anything between 250K and 1M should be able to be used successfully with any pickup, just depends on how bright you want them to sound.

i understand but Bill says the L500XL is designed for 500k so i am goin by that if i decide to put the L500XL in the bridge position. He has also said to try what i have and see if i like it. but thanks for you help m8!

I've read somewhere that they have a switchcraft switch and input jack.

If you follow Willy or Pete's link (same link) it's described on the Epiphone site like this:

Toggle Switch

The Joe Bonamassa Les Paul features a quality all-metal Epiphone three-way toggle switch for pickup selection.

Output Jack

The guitar features a quality 1⁄4" output jack

I'm sure if it was Switchcraft they'd have been happy to say it was. You could be right, but it's strange they don't mention it.

EDIT: Just noticed it was your first post, welcome to the forums, it's a great place, I hope you like it here.

Tuco,

Welcome to the forum!!!

Wow!

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/tonefreaks/179343-wiring.html

What I find interesting is that they look like 500k Linear volumes.

but upon removing them and measuring, the guy found them all to be 500K, so it seems a bit of a mystery thus far,

pot specs

Good, better and best?

Willy

finally got around to pulling the covers. two B500k and two A500k clearly stamped on the backside of the pot.

as for the switch... it appears to be a switchcraft nickel. although Epiphone description on gibson.com states "Epiphone all-metal 3-way toggle with cream cap"... mine has a black switch tip as with the switchcraft description and switch is identical to the photos of switchcrafts.

have no idea as to the jack and i ain't pullin it to check... not for now anyway!

thnx all for snoopin around for me... even the smarty pants! (thanks for bein yourselves!) [thumbup]

They don't give you SLASHTONE, or win Grammys.......... .... ?????????????????? wtf?

some friggin reply!

damian... try not to help so much next time... you might strain yourself!

My sincere apologies Dasboot Vagabond.............I intended to post the answers and got side tracked......

Looks like it's mostly sorted out..............Nice guitars.........Congrats.........[thumbup] ....

finally got around to pulling the covers. two B500k and two A500k clearly stamped on the backside of the pot.

as for the switch... it appears to be a switchcraft nickel. although Epiphone description on gibson.com states "Epiphone all-metal 3-way toggle with cream cap"... mine has a black switch tip as with the switchcraft description and switch is identical to the photos of switchcrafts.

have no idea as to the jack and i ain't pullin it to check... not for now anyway!

thnx all for snoopin around for me... even the smarty pants! (thanks for bein yourselves!) [thumbup]

Thanks for sharing that info with us DV, and for taking the time to delve into your geet for the answers <double thumbs-up>

sry damian... thought you were just bein a pain. i did not feel well today and did not get much done. i figured i would just ask if anyone knew offhand. i WAS bein lazy but i had a reason!

i will say that anyone that has a JB with a cream switch tip should probably double check on their guts. at least i found out that at least mine has the 50's wiring, a $20 nickel plated switch and the correct pots if i decide to put the Bill Lawrence pups in.

thought about it earlier today that i have a MIM Fender Strat that could use pups too so i might wait on stripping the BB's out of the paul just yet. at least through this process i learned how important a high quality guitar cable is to the mix. after all these years of playing i never thought about the cable being a capacitor in-line between the pups and the amp. so the beginning of next month when i get my check i am gonna buy a low-cap cable. i was advised second hand from Bill that i should try the cable first before pulling out the BB's to see if i actually like or dislike the gibsons. apparently Mr. Lawrence is @ NAMM this week.

and your welcome rastus!

I am having a problem with 2 of my pots on my Epiphone Silverburst Les Paul custom guitar. I was also looking for specs on it. I went to Guitar Center to get the replacement pot and they had 2 different ones from Gibson. 1 shaft was taller than the other one. I have no idea which to get nor do I know what the ohm is. I heard it's either 250 or 500ohm. Anyone have a idea of which pot to buy without taking the guitar apart first?

Thanks

I am having a problem with 2 of my pots on my Epiphone Silverburst Les Paul custom guitar. I was also looking for specs on it. I went to Guitar Center to get the replacement pot and they had 2 different ones from Gibson. 1 shaft was taller than the other one. I have no idea which to get nor do I know what the ohm is. I heard it's either 250 or 500ohm. Anyone have a idea of which pot to buy without taking the guitar apart first?

Thanks

I'm no techy guy, but I would think someone at a GC should be able to help with that, after all they work in amusic store…

I'm not a 100% sure, but I think you'd want a longshaft 500pot for a les paul… someone else will probably chime in with a more certain answer…

Archived