Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson J200 NA

trlong

I'm wondering if anyone could provide me with some information on this guitar. I'm having trouble finding any info on it, around the internet. It's a model J200 NA. has an 11 digit serial number. A guy wants to trade me for one of my other guitars, and I just don't want to get ripped off. Where was it made? What would the value be in mint condition? thanks guys!

That's not a real Gibson. It's fake. Looks like the Chinese are doing a better job on the headstock and truss rod cover though...

thanks for the reply. That confirms what I was thinking. The workmanship/fit/finish, just doesn't seem to add up to what I expected from a Gibson. It does have a really nice sound to it, but not worth making a deal on.

It is easy to tell (if the guitar is in your hands) the difference between a nitro finish and a poly finish. I would be surprised if there was a fake with a nitro finish.

The lack of any kind of figuring on that maple tells me it is a fake as well. The Chinese Epiphone EJ200's have that flat, plain, maple laminate as well.

Welcome.

Yep, fake.

Smart move getting it checked out before purchasing.

it just didn't feel like a high end guitar, as soon as I picked it up. when I first looked at it, it seemed like a nice looking guitar....however, the action on it is horrible....strings about a 1/4" off the fretboard at the 12th fret. the finish around the neck/nut/pickguard, etc, was not what I expected out of a Gibson. I have a Gibson Les Paul and it has a finish 10 times as good as this one. this was advertised as checked out at local music store, and sells for $4500...he had a picture of a J200 Custom on the add. lol I've had a couple Martins, and a Limited Takamine, and was shocked that a Gibson could be this bad....haha. Needless to say, it's not a Gibson. Thanks guys for all the replies. I'll be back to this forum in the future. I'm on the hunt for a high end acoustic, to go with my electrics, so might need an opinion at another time. Thanks!

Archived