Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Low-Impedance Guitars Club

btoth76

Hello!

I thought it would be a good idea to collect us, owners of these rare and interesting guitars, to exchange knowledge and experiences about them, or just to show off our instruments. :)

Please post Your pictures, and descriptions of Your beauties.

Best regards... Bence

I'll bite once! I think we are a small group................ [thumbup]

PairB.jpg

PairC.jpg

PairD.jpg

LP-12_zpsea400e9c.jpg

Somebody must have sold their collection of Low Impedance guitars to Chicago Music Exchange recently.

They sold the Les Paul Personal & some of the others, but they still have several Low Impedance Les Pauls.

• Upvote 1

Hello! So, here is my 1978 Recording. Stamped on 1st of February.

IMG_2582_zpsd15ccf5a.jpg

IMG_2579_zps7846a68b.jpg

IMG_2572_zps9b67efd6.jpg

I've found a site called "Woody's" on the net (maybe You did, Grog recommended it?). There are many people with such instruments. Even found a guitar stamped on the very same day as mine. http://www.rlinwood.com/family_webpage/linkpages/music/LPR/LPR_Master.htm

Cheers... Bence

• 2 weeks later...

Just to keep things going, here's the original LPR Demo recording which shipped with some of these guitars.

LPR Demo

DG

Thanks Dave, I haven't listened to that in years! I have that brochure with the record still attached! [thumbup]

Could someone in the know explain these to a rookie?

What was the intent, what are all the controls, etc?

very interesting guitars, would love to learn more about them.

NHTom

Hello NHTom!

With the four pots You can dial in a year You would like to travel to. One of the switches sets "A.D." or "B.C.". Then, pluck a string and You are there. :D

Seriously...

These instruments have low-impedance pickups for exceptional tonal clarity. They either have separate output jacks for low-impedance mode - which allows the guitar to be directly connected to recording board or it's own amplifier, and for high-impedance mode, through which they can be connected to regular amp, or they have one output jack and a slide selector for the modes.

The pots are: Master Volume, Treble, Bass (I guess, no explanation needed), and an 11-position Decade rotary selector which varies the frequency cut of a filter. With this selector You can make the guitar sound single-coilish, or humbucker-like, even, almost like an acoustic guitar.

They also have switch for out-of-phase setting. This only operates when both pickups are on. It gives the guitar a quacky, hollow tone.

The 3-position bigger switch bypasses the Treble/Bass controls, and/or other sections of circuit.

Cheers... Bence

Hello Dave!

Just realized that's Your page! How could I be so blind?! [blush]

Great information there! [thumbup]

By the way: I wonder, if it's possible to add my LPR to the "Users Page" section? [rolleyes]

Cheers... Bence

Cool, I really appreciate all the information.

I understand why they had the recording label...........seems like with all those tone options, they would be great for a session player who has to cover a ton of styles and sounds.

Beautiful guitars,

Thanks again,

NHTom

Hello NHTom!

Here are some photos, on which You can see what makes a Recording a special among Les Pauls.

The control panel:

HPIM3267_zps45a93fcc.jpg

The wiring:

HPIM3216_zpsf18ae5c4.jpg

The pickups:

HPIM3264_zps9995a1d5.jpg

Cheers... Bence

Wow, very cool........thats a LOT of wiring in a small cavity!

NHTom

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday I came across a nice Les Paul Personal, ended up buying it. It should be delivered sometime next week. It even has the original chord in great shape. That rounds up my low impedance collection. Pictures to follow............................

• Upvote 1

Can't wait!!

I think that you will be VERY pleased, not just to finish off the collection, but to have what to me was Gibson's finest creation - ever!!

I have played a couple and while the sound is no different to the LPR, the feel of this instrument leaves other guitars wanting.

Glad that the CORD comes with it - if you feel like experimenting you can choose a higher output by dismantling the Transformer and swapping a connection. If you want further details I can take mine apart and take some pics. I once had the Shure wiring diagram but I think that it is now long gone.

DG

Yesterday I came across a nice Les Paul Personal, ended up buying it. It should be delivered sometime next week. It even has the original chord in great shape. That rounds up my low impedance collection. Pictures to follow............................

Congratulations! [thumbup]

I love that big-body contour. I think it looks even better than the conventional Les Paul shape.

Here You can find the wiring schematic for the transformer: http://cdn.shure.com/user_guide/upload/634/us_pro_a95u_ug.pdf

Cheers... Bence

Now I'll have to be on the look out for the xlr gooseneck & mic, LOL! That may be a tough one!

Believe it or not, I still couldn't buy a Shure Line Matching Transformer locally. Even tough, there are a couple of shops advertising it, noone seems to have them in stock. If I get it from UK, it would cost nearly twice as much...

Ok, that makes no sense, since noone has them locally anyways... :D

Good luck with the mic! [thumbup]

Cheers... Bence