Gibson Brands Forums

Opinions on a J-50 from 1966?

rockinrebel

I think the '66 would have the same bracing Gibson started using in 1955. The bracing did not start to get heavier until around 1968 or 1969. Assuming you like the way the guitar sounds, I am a guessng the main thing will come down to whether or not you like the thin neck profile. I don't like them but I am sure there are folks that do. Just a matter of taste. Regarding the adjustable bridge - I never found them to be the tone killer they are reputed to be. Most folks, though, do remove them. If you do have it changed make sure you keep the original.

• Like 1

As zombywoof mentioned, the narrow necks used back in those days is the first thing that comes to mind for me. If you get along okay with that narrow nut and it sounds good to you, then I wouldn't be too concerned about any of the other stuff (provided it's in decent shape).

I was visiting our local Gibson dealer a while back and to my ears one of the best sounding Gibsons they had in stock at the time (regardless of price) was a '68 reissue J-45, complete with an adjustable bridge. It sounded far better than it "should have". As always, it comes down to the individual guitar.

All the best,

Guth

I appreciate the comments. I had a 2006 J-45 that I sold about 6 months ago and I'm really starting to miss having a short scale, slope shouldered Gibson in the house.

I have a 1997 Santa Cruz Vintage Artist that is awesome and fills the niche for the Martin D-18 sound, but there is just something to a slope D Gibson.

Any other thoughts are surely welcome.

As zombywoof mentioned' date=' the narrow necks used back in those days is the first thing that comes to mind for me. If you get along okay with that narrow nut and it sounds good to you, then I wouldn't be too concerned about any of the other stuff (provided it's in decent shape).

I was visiting our local Gibson dealer a while back and to my ears one of the best sounding Gibsons they had in stock at the time (regardless of price) was a '68 reissue J-45, complete with an adjustable bridge. It sounded far better than it "should have". As always, it comes down to the individual guitar.

All the best,

Guth[/quote']

I'll bet you a dollar though that the reissue had the same scallop bracing you find in J-45 TV and not the heavier non-scallop type Gibson started using in 1968.

I'll bet you a dollar though that the reissue had the same scallop bracing you find in J-45 TV and not the heavier non-scallop type Gibson started using in 1968.

I certainly wouldn't doubt that. The point that I was trying to make was that the guitar sounded really good despite the "dreaded adjustable bridge".

Might it have sounded better without the adj. bridge? Maybe, maybe not, but the fact was it sounded plenty good with it in place and I'm sure a number of the older ones do too. Sometimes there is no explaining what makes a good sounding guitar sound so good. People can go on and on about tonewoods, bracing types, bracing sizes, bridge types, glue types, etc., etc.. But there are plenty of great sounding guitars out there that from a construction standpoint don't come close to meeting the standard of what should sound good "in theory", yet despite that, they do in fact sound good. Sometimes very good. That's part of the beauty of it all to me.

All the best,

Guth

I certainly wouldn't doubt that. The point that I was trying to make was that the guitar sounded really good despite the "dreaded adjustable bridge".

I am in total agreement with you. I do not think the ADJ bridges deserve the bad rap they have gotten. I reckon they have just been condemned for so long it has become "fact."

OK, everybody.

I am going to be back in the Gibson family soon.

I'm doing a trade for the 1966 Gibson J-50.

Really excited.

The top has lots of finish checking which just adds to the cool vintage mojo to me.

I can already here Dylan and Beatles tunes flowing out of that 44 year old beauty.

• 10 years later...

I have a 66 J-50, purchased new. 

It has been  admired  by a number of musicians, including Frank Hannon, (Tesla) who called it his favorite guitar. 

A Celtic Rock band passed it around, amazed how effortless it was to play   A local singer said it was like ‘playing butter.’

I have no idea what it’s worth, but it won’t disappoint!