Gibson Brands Forums

ES 359 horror story

pcol2000

So I recently purchased an ES 359 through Ebay. BIG mistake. I did get an amazing deal but when the guitar got to me the headstock had snapped. I don't think the person that shipped the guitar loosened the strings at all. Anyways, I am in Turkey right now in the military so I can't really go to a Gibson certified repair guy. I've tried to contact the custom shop by phone for nearly 7 days and cannot reach them. I have a few very specific questions to ask them and I'm wondering if anyone here has a better way to get a hold of them? I've tried customer service multiple times and they say "try to call early in the morning" or "shoot them an email" I'm getting frustrated by the lack of response from the custom shop guys and I'm not coming here to bash anyone, I just really want to fixs this problem.

I originally wanted the neck replaced as i didn't want to have such a beautiful guitar "sullied" or whatever but now i'm open to a good luthier that can get it back to a playable condition.

I'm going to do my best to post a pic or two.

>[img]http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/120/l_80359e859e094ba1a09942cb6544d1f7

(edited to add pics and hope i did it right)

Wow that really sucks. Have you contacted the seller to see if he insured the delivery against damage?. A freind of mine snapped and Martin D35 neck one night while we were playing at a campground. The guitar fell off its stand and landed just right so as to break the neck. It actually looked very similar to your damage. Anyway he had it repaired by a luthier for not too much. A hundred and something dollars. You have to look at it really closely now to see the damage after the repair and the guitar plays exactly as did before he broke it. So all is not lost.

Are you USA? If so thanks you for your service to our country and good luck.

I contacted the seller and he did not ship with insurance, which I would have gladly paid for. I looked into the Ebay buyer protection program and it sounds like they should just call it the Ebay arbitration program. The seller has been helpful in the situation - but i definitely should have just spent the extra 6-or 700 dollars and gone through musicians friend or GC. My problem is being in Turkey, i can't walk into a shop and ask a luthier if he'd like to take it on for me. And i can't find anyone, yet, that will allow me to ship it to them. T he search continues and thank you for the kind words.

scott

I feel bad for you, bro.

By the way, not loosening the strings before shipping didn't have anything to do with it...that thing was whacked during shipping.

Sometimes I wish people would straight-up stop shipping Gibson guitars around, since a whack to the headstock is such a disaster.

So I recently purchased an ES 359 through Ebay. BIG mistake. I did get an amazing deal but when the guitar got to me the headstock had snapped.... Anyways' date=' I am in Turkey right now in the military so I can't really go to a Gibson certified repair guy. I've tried to contact the custom shop by phone for nearly 7 days and cannot reach them. I have a few very specific questions to ask them and I'm wondering if anyone here has a better way to get a hold of them? I've tried customer service multiple times and they say "try to call early in the morning" or "shoot them an email" I'm getting frustrated by the lack of response from the custom shop guys and I'm not coming here to bash anyone, I just really want to fixs this problem.

I originally wanted the neck replaced as i didn't want to have such a beautiful guitar "sullied" or whatever but now i'm open to a good luthier that can get it back to a playable condition....[/quote']

Gosh what a disappointment.

I am thinking that it would be good to avoid yet more shipping.

Some fine stringed instruments come out of Turkey (more baglamas rather than electric guitars though) so I'd be surprised if there wasn't a decent luthier around.

If the folks on the base cannot help, contacting luthiers through music shops would seem to be the next best option but you sound like you are not too keen on this idea.

Maybe Gibson could give you the name of a repairer over there?

If you get desperate, I might be able to help. I know people here who play music from that part of the world on Turkish instruments.

The other thing I am wondering is whether you have a claim against the seller for not packing the instrument properly or the shipper for mishandling it. Was the package marked fragile? Did the seller act reasonably in packing it?

RN

I am so sorry to hear about your 359 misfortune pcol!! I have never had a headstock brake, but if I did, I would immediately send my guitar to BCR Music in Pennsylvania, USA. The tech Greg Platzer is legend among Gibson players, the work this guy can do is nothing short of a miracle. I've seen many before & after pics of his work, it's amazing. From what I've heard, his prices are very reasonable.

You can see samples of his work here: Repair Pics

Here's hoping you get your guitar back to great playing condition!

Fish, I just got off the phone with Greg and he's going to do the repairwork for me. Thanks for referring him to me. made this thread worth it. He also wanted to thank you for the referral.

Excellent! Don't forget to tell us how the repair comes out. We want to hear a happy ending. #-o

• 3 months later...

Any updates on the repair?

We do have several service centers in Europe, although not in Turkey. You could however always ask if they would be willing to do the job.

Shipping would be necessary however.

I don't see why you could not walk into the shops of one of our authorized dealers In Turkey for good reference for a luthier:

http://www2.gibson.com/Support/Dealers/Europe/Turkey.aspx

beyoglu - instanbulZuhal Dis Ticaret

GALIPDEDE CAD N°37

Beyoglu - instanbul

Turkey

istanbulGitarmerkezi müzik

Halis Efendi Sk 5

Caferağa Mh.

Istanbul 34710

Turkey

(216) 347-0100

Omem Oner Muzik

Seyrantepe Altinay Caddesi No: 53-1

Kagithane

Istanbul 34408

Turkey

0090 212 294 6988

Stijn Vergeest

Gibson Europe Customer Service

00800-4GIBSON1

00800-44427661

www.gibson.com

service.europe@gibson.com

• 2 months later...

Hi Ya'll -

sorry it's been so long but i was in Germany for a few months - i know - poor me. but i did sent the 359 to Greg at BCR and he did an amazing job. you can barely tell it was broken to begin with. I'll try to post some pics. and i also picked up a nice Baglama with some fishman electronics - but i play it like an american. it sounds weird/cool

thanks for all the help

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/126/m_599b1fbc054e4c1a9684ba0cc4c42981

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/127/m_1dbd1b042e5d409e9b8b2c2924f427da

post-16915-089693400 1296132352_thumb.jpg

Archived