Gibson Brands Forums

my gibson sg is original?

aristophanes1

hello to everybody ihave a gibson sg with serial no.92180319 .

iwander if my guitar is original or fake.post-41529-013999300 1331573667_thumb.jpg

Well, I was about to respond that the toggle switch was in the wrong place and the headstock doesn't look quite right (not sure what the sticker says?). However, doing some highly scientific research (I googled it) I see a there are some 1990 SG Standard models with the toggle in that position and the jack on the side, in candy apple red even. In other words I'm no help at all. I'm sure someone smarter than me will be able to help here. [confused]

Welcome.

Post some GOOD pics - good size - good focus - no angles - well lit - no cut off parts. One straight overhead shot of the whole guitar, a shot of the front of the headstock, and a shot of the back of the headstock that includes the top end of the neck area behind the nut.

The headstock looks legit, but what's the stamp/logo on the back side of the headstock at the bottom?

Can't see much of the body with that terrible angle and lighting.

Does not say made in USA on back of headstock, and has a strange sticker on it plus it looks like someone changed out the tuners also as it appears to have lines where the old ones used to be. I believe it is fake, Tim

Does not say made in USA on back of headstock, and has a strange sticker on it plus it looks like someone changed out the tuners also as it appears to have lines where the old ones used to be. I believe it is fake, Tim

there is made in usa on back of headstock,the picture quality it is no so good.

the sticker it is from the local guitar store.

i atached some new pictures with high quality after the service.

thanx tim

there is made in usa on back of headstock,the picture quality it is no so good.

the sticker it is from the local guitar store.

i atached some new pictures with high quality after the service.

thanx tim

I don't know man. I still don't see "made in USA" on the headstock, picture quality looks good enough to see it if it was there. Also the headstock inlays look a little wonky. I'm no expert though.

I agree with the previous posting as the quality is good enough to see that made in USA stamping is not there and the "i" is not dotted on the headstock inlay and it still looks as if someone changed out the tuners. I would take the back cover off of the guitar and take a look inside at the volume and tone pots too. Also you say the sticker is from the local music store, so what did you have to pay for it? I wish I could say it was real but it does not look like a real one so far, Tim

Dotted 'i' is no way to tell anything. Sometimes the dot touches the 'G', sometimes the dot floats free, sometimes there's no dot. The headstock and tuners look fine to me.

Here's a 1990 SG - no dot.

$(KGrHqJHJ!wE8e0G2hStBPOBByRtBw~~60_58.JPG

No one can see the "Made in USA" stamp, and that's definitely a concern. Here's a 1991 - . . . . . . . . . . (Post better pics!!!).

$(KGrHqYOKj!E6T(IWG)QBOq(PEm9t!~~60_12.JPG

I can't see the rest of the guitar well enough to make a call on it. Post better pics!

Dotted 'i' is no way to tell anything. Sometimes the dot touches the 'G', sometimes the dot floats free, sometimes there's no dot. The headstock and tuners look fine to me.

Here's a 1990 SG - no dot.

$(KGrHqJHJ!wE8e0G2hStBPOBByRtBw~~60_58.JPG

No one can see the "Made in USA" stamp, and that's definitely a concern. Here's a 1991 - . . . . . . . . . . (Post better pics!!!).

$(KGrHqYOKj!E6T(IWG)QBOq(PEm9t!~~60_12.JPG

I can't see the rest of the guitar well enough to make a call on it. Post better pics!

i will post some new pictures next week.

thanx everybody.

Well I saw the same one on ebay......So gibson did dot all their "i"'s.

I would still open the back of it and look at the electronis, Tim

With the apparently missing "Made in USA" stamp - that's a good suggestion.

As far as the "dot" goes, through the years that darn thing has been all over the map and sometimes missing - here's a good look - http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/gibson-les-pauls/72246-gibson-headstock-logos.html

Gibson sg had that toggle switch placement up to 85-86-87 im not sure. If it,s real i would have guessed it was a early 80s model. Maybe the first number is a 8 not a 9, again i haven't seen a 90's sg with that toggle placement but i can be wrong.

Gibson sg had that toggle switch placement up to 85-86-87 im not sure. If it,s real i would have guessed it was a early 80s model. Maybe the first number is a 8 not a 9, again i haven't seen a 90's sg with that toggle placement but i can be wrong.

Both of the following from fleaBay - 1990 SG -

$(KGrHqVHJDUE63ZSCfoVBPOBCTw8Fg~~60_58.JPG

1991 SG -

$(KGrHqYOKpUE6U,F95f-BOq(O6,u)!~~60_12.JPG

http://www.gbase.com/gear/gibson-sg-standard-1991-candy-apple-red

Looks legit, to me...based on the model pictured in the above link.

CB

That's one of the fleaBay guitars I've been referencing - http://www.ebay.com/itm/1991-Gibson-SG-Standard-Rare-Candy-Apple-Red-w-case-/260876679456?pt=Guitar&hash=item3cbd763920#ht_500wt_1180 . . . B)

. . .

I would add not all SG's say made in the USA, yes it was to deter fakes being made. Everything else looks okay to me. I would reference A.R. Duchossoir's book on Gibson Guitar Identification. He goes into more detail on the , the Made in the USA" usage, headstock and Gibson logo. Another way to tell is pull the little cover that say's SG and the truss rod should have a hex nut profile. If it is anything different like a phillips screw head then you just got screwed.

Mike

Archived