Gibson Brands Forums

I've been eating TWINKIES for dinner!!

PetPeeves

Let me explain - When I first started playing guitar, my teacher taught me a few open major and minor chords and how to strum a 4-4 rhythm. That was my first lesson. Then he taught me a song with those chords. I picked it up quick and was so happy that I could play anything. Then, with the internet and neato chord sites I figured out that I could play a ton of other songs using those chords or slight variations. So, within three or four weeks of playing guitar, I could play almost every dang Eagles songs there were! I must be a prodigy, right?? So things went on like this for months. I'm playing Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin and other stuff that I just could not believe I was able to play so quickly. I'm a natural!!

Then I hit some kind of wall. I became unsatisfied with my teacher and moved on. My next teacher knew a lot more of the kind of stuff I wanted to learn so, again, I was happy for a little while learning more Led Zeppelin and some Jimi Hendrix and such. Then I hit a wall. Again. I went to another teacher. Mind you, every teacher I've ever had has asked me what I want to play and my answer has always been the same - I want to be a great improvisational blues player. (OK, then. I'll teach you another Led Zeppelin song and teach you the solo ...WOOHOO!)

So teacher after teacher taught me this stuff but I wasn't getting it. I couldn't play it. Omg, I must really suck! So I go to the one teacher who, when I first started playing guitar, I said "I'll NEVER take lessons from that guy!" And meant it. He was cocky and he wanted to teach me stuff that I wasn't interested in. So anyway, turns out this guy was the best thing that could have happened to me. Metal shredding, classically trained Ahole that he is.

Here's an interesting piece of information. Did you know that a diatonic scale in any key is just a pattern using all six strings? Did you know that it doesn't change if you change keys? Did you know that you could play that scale in multiple places all over the fretboard? Did you know that you can change that scale from a major to a minor simply be flatttening the third note? WELL I DIDN'T!! In four lessons with this guy I've learned things like that and so much more that would have been real useful 2 years ago! I'm hopping mad at my other teachers for not teaching me this stuff and thrilled that finally I have a teacher who's going to help me get where I need to go - the right way.

So, I guess it's like feeding your kid twinkies for dinner. It shuts them up, fills thier belly and they're happy as hell 'cause they got a twinky. But where's the nutritional value? They don't know that if they keep eating twinkies they're going to end up malnourished. And that's what I am - musically malnourished. Starving to death!! And now that I'm getting real food, I'm not going to hide me peas under my mashed potatos- I'm gonna eat it up!! I feel like I've walked out of darkness into light. My fascination with guitar is back with a vengance and it's so nice to feel this passion again after so long of looking at my poor Gibby and saying- "eh. maybe tomorrow." I feel like I'm back and better than ever and I simply can't wait to see what I'm going to learn next!!

I'm positive that there's an eighth grader in Akron, OH that already knows more about music than I will EVER know, and I guess I'm okay with that.... I've adopted the attitude in life that I enjoy the journey towards a goal more than the goal itself. So as long as I pick up a little thing here and there, it's all good. I think I have more frustration just trying to think of a song to play; I draw a blank. If I could sing, that would open up a whole 'nother world, but that ain't gonna happen. Well, maybe someday. It's been over a year since I quit smoking so I can't use the raspy throat and lack of wind as an excuse anymore.

But you're right about finding a good teacher! An ex-friend (long story) used to give lessons in the 80s, and they consisted of him showing some 14 year old kids with pointy guitars how to play some metal song. Learn that song, then we'll move on to the next song. Okay, it's a system, but not the approach I would advocate (said the guy who hasn't taken a lesson since 1976...).

Ooooh I'm jealous! That's awesome news Laura! I'm still eating twinkies.... that I bought myself! Those classically-trained shredders are pretty good. Wasn't Randy Rhoads a classically-trained shredder? I think there's quite a few famous ones out there. Glad you found a good one. My ex-boyfriend was teaching me scales, but we broke up and so my scale knowledge acquisition came to a screeching halt. I'd like to sign up for lessons here but there's more bad teachers than good I think. And my bluegrass class that was supposed to start on February 12 just got cancelled due to low enrollment. I'm still mad about that.

But now you've got me pumped up to try and find a good teacher!

Gillian.....okay, okay ill do it!

Geez, you dont have to twist my arm. :D/

We can get famous and make a cameo appearence on Corner Gas.

Let me know when your ready!

I used to love useing the classical scales. I was a huge Randy Rhoads fan. Have you

you ever head Yngwie Malmsteen?....Hes just amazing. Theres no other word to describe him.

Hes a jerk and very full of himself, but the man is truely gifted.

Funny thing though....He cant play the blues very well. Sounds plastic and forced.

Here's an interesting piece of information. Did you know that a diatonic scale in any key is just a pattern using all six strings? Did you know that it doesn't change if you change keys? Did you know that you could play that scale in multiple places all over the fretboard? Did you know that you can change that scale from a major to a minor simply be flatttening the third note? ..............

uhhh... yes. But I still suck at guitar and play like a novice. I'd love to be able to play LZ and Pink Floyd.

I LOVE Randy Rhoads!! He was classically trained, yeah. Crazy Train is one of my all time favorite solos. It's one of those solos that, unlike a Page solo that can be tinkered with, you have to play note-for-note or you immediately say, "Hey, that's not right!!" What a great riff, too. I do like the good shredders - Malmsteen, Via and Kirk Hammet (Metallica) is a heavy metal GOD!! I can't help myself. I've been a huge Metallica freak more than half my life, I just don't think I wanna play that stuff. Classic rock/blues is more my speed.

I'm just stoked.

It's like I tell my son that is just starting out but seems to have the "knack" I can't remember where I heared it but,

It's ok to learn alot of other folks riffs and songs; but if you ever get the opportunity to play in front of these people what will you play? :(

It's like I tell my son that is just starting out but seems to have the "knack" I can't remember where I heared it but' date='

It's ok to learn alot of other folks riffs and songs; but if you ever get the opportunity to play in front of these people what will you play? #-o [/quote']

By that do you mean what would I play if I had the opportunity to play in front of the people who's songs I play? Like I said above, my goal is to be a great improvisational blues player. Hypothetically, if I had the opportunity and had acheived my goal, you'd still have to tie my hands to a guitar and put a gun to my head to get me to play in front of Jimmy Page or anyone like him. But if you managed that, I'd improvise blues. Talk about preaching to the choir!! lol.

But it's never been my goal to be in a band or play in front of crowds. The closest I'll ever come to playing in front of anyone would be a small party of friends and that's only if they asked for a song. Guitar is strictly personal for me.

Yea Pet I think that quote was to mean improvise....or something like that. As for me I guess I am still trying to live out my childhhood dream. In 3rd grade I have a question thingy we had to answer in class concerning what we wanted to be when we grew up (my mom still has this)! I answered a rockstar!!! LOL I was in 3rd grade in 1971.

Archived