Gibson Brands Forums

May have dodged a bullet

ksdaddy

Whew! Ancient history!

The 175T was nice but the money was nicer. I'm fickle like that. I got a good price so it went away.

I am in the market for another jazz box though. I'm using my '77 Gretsch Country Club that I've owned for 10 years or so. It's probably the MOST 'solid as a rock' guitar I've ever owned but it's also not resonant at all. It's more like a 335 than a fat box.

In 1990 I was offered a used Fender D'Aquisto archtop, made in Japan, for $550 at a local dealer. Never bit. A local guy did, however, and it's been basically sitting under his bed for 24 years. He was trying to sell it on consignment in a local shop for $1400 and got frustrated after 2 weeks so he took it home. I alluded that I was interested and if I could have snagged it for $1000 cash, I would. He doesn't seem very flexible on his price so I'm looking elsewhere.

People seem to think 175s are made of gold or something. It's insane what they want. I think I'd rather stick with a 16" body rather than go back to another Heritage Eagle, X500, or whatever. The smaller 16" bodies seem to resonate more for some reason.

A Herb Ellis would be perfect but I'm not really a HE fan so I feel weird about it. Is that weird?

A cupla suggestions.

Last night I was messing with my Gretsch C100CE with that new B9 Hammond emulator. Unusual for me, I put on some ultra light flatwounds stedda my normal 9-42 roundwounds of one sort or another.

It has the 25 1/2 inch scale but is a 16-inch lower bout. Floating HB and the controls are on the pickguard 'stedda the body of the instrument.

My experience last nite is that it doesn't work all that well with the pedal. But... if set up as mine is, one's hand simply can float anywhere on the fingerboard with doggone near similar pressure. I don't care that much for the longer scale 'cuz I've gotten used to the shorter scale and it offers a "reach" issue or two for a fingerpicker.

Still, I've used it for a cupla gigs and it works well. At $750 street it ain't bad at all. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/G100CEN?adpos=1o2&creative=55392802681&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CPXp1M3V-sACFScV7AodI3gASg

... ON The other hand...

Options. I'm already on record with praise for this one. I got mine before a price hike, but I think it's still "right up there" in value. The Eastman AR371CE. For all intents it's a copy of the single pup 175. They later came up with the AR372CE which is the two-pup version. They come with case and likely are currently under $1,000 and very well worth it. Not quite as "pretty" in finish as a 175 but in terms of playability and construction, they're as good or better than anything I've seen for the money if one is looking for a short scale 16-inch cutaway archtop.

OR...

Epi has a new 175 "copy" for around a grand with a case and the reviews elsewhere on the Gibson forums have been very, very positive on it. MIK? Dunno, but some have suggested it's far above the prior Epi 175 "copy" in quality and the next best to real thing.

Epiphone ES-175 Premium Hollowbody Electric Guitar | As of this date with a case figure a shade over $1,000 at MF - but they have two "condition two" for $720, so you'd be under $900 US with case. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-es-175-premium-hollowbody-electric-guitar?source=3WWRWXGB&SKU=J07387-MF&kwid=3f89935a76d04157903989abc8b5ac71&gclid=CLrDzoXZ-sACFQxp7AodQH8Azg

Or...

I still think the Epi Joe Pass is a worthwhile guitar. It's a bit less pricey and still good quality, 16-inch lower bout and short scale.

I think if they'd take a trade, I'd drop my Gretsch for the Epi 175 - or even the Pass. But given my location... ain't worth it. It's a great instrument for the money, very nice neck and in ways incredibly playable up the neck, but I'm just not into the longer scale. It's difficult to barre a "c" shape chord at the first and second fret; even a "g" at the second fret to fill out an "a."

m

Epi has a new 175 "copy" for around a grand with a case and the reviews elsewhere on the Gibson forums have been very, very positive on it. MIK? Dunno, but some have suggested it's far above the prior Epi 175 "copy" in quality and the next best to real thing.

Epiphone ES-175 Premium Hollowbody Electric Guitar | As of this date with a case figure a shade over $1,000 at MF - but they have two "condition two" for $720, so you'd be under $900 US with case.

Yes, made in Korea. Mine was 850 delivered with a case. Labor day 15% off, just call them up next time they are having such a sale. Love it.

rct

<grin>

Scum.

<chortle>

Seriously, I was reeally considering one of the "condition 2" versions. One's a blonde, one black.

But... I just popped back and they have an online 15% off still... and that would retain warranty.

<sigh>

m

Yep and if I decided to really go inexpensive I have NO qualms about owning an Ibanez Artcore. Scary what I've seen for sale on ebay for less than $450 shipped. I saw one AF85 go for $289 the other day.

Scary.

In '85 I bought a pristine 'under the bed' ES-125TCD (or TDC... pretty sure it was called a TCD at first, then they changed...). Anyway, it was new. I mean new. Not one single solitary finish crack; not so much as a smudge. I bought it from Gruhn's for $350 plus $15 or $20 shipping. George gave me an official Gruhn appraisal with purchase and he made it a point to call it a 'student grade' instrument I think twice in the appraisal.

I don't consider a 125 a 'student grade' but whatever, George.

That same guitar is going for $2500 and up now. Sheesh! Yet a Nashville/Memphis 135/137 will sell for less than half that used. I know they're not the same animal but they are the same idea, and supposedly the QC is just as high as anything Kzoo ever did. Must be the whole vintage thing.

I had thought about a Godin Fifth Avenue, and they're not off the table, but they're not all that graceful looking.

I had a chance to get a Furch archtop (made in Czech Republic) a while back for under $600. I shoulda pulled the trigger just to see what it was all about.

I'm not postal yet but close.

Archived