Gibson Brands Forums

First gibson Sg!

marco1996

hello, i would buy my first gibson sg guitar. I have seen two guitar the SGJ and the SG 60s tribute. I like the SGJ, but i have smallest hands so i need a slim neck. has The SGJ 60 slim neck? Gibson said that he is a 50s rounded, which are the different between the 50s rounded and the 60 slim neck? on Musiczoo they say that the guitar has a 60 slim neck (http://www.themusiczoo.com/product/16586/Gibson-SGJ-Electric-Guitar-White-Trans/) which site say the true?

1366437071[/url]' post='1364068']

hello, i would buy my first gibson sg guitar. I have seen two guitar the SGJ and the SG 60s tribute. I like the SGJ, but i have smallest hands so i need a slim neck. has The SGJ 60 slim neck? Gibson said that he is a 50s rounded, which are the different between the 50s rounded and the 60 slim neck? on Musiczoo they say that the guitar has a 60 slim neck (http://www.themusicz...ar-White-Trans/) which site say the true?

I believe that the 50's neck is a little thicker (rounder) on the back but both necks are the same width. So, the 60's neck feels a little flatter on the back. If you really believe that your hands are that small, I would go for the 60s neck. In my opinion, there really is not that much difference between the two. However, it is a noticeable difference.

I've played 2 SGJ's and both had a chucky 50's neck. I haven't seen or play a 60's tribute yet. The smallest neck Gibson made are on discontinued models, the USA Angust Yound SG is the smallest then the SG Goddest. The necks will vary on all models as there is some hand work done in the finishing process.

As DJ commented, hand work makes for some variability in the shape/dimensions of the neck. But here's the basic plan for the 50s rounded and 60s necks: 50s about .850" at the first fret, and 60s about .780 at the first fret. Not much of a difference, but it doesn't take much to make a noticeable difference. You can see in the pic that the 60s neck sides are tapered away from the round profile of the 50s.

SG-Features-50s-Neck-Profile.jpg

Archived