Gibson Brands Forums

Free - Fire and Water

Twiz

[thumbup]

Riffs were one of Free's strongest points. So many tracks featured great riffs; none more famous, of course, than 'All Right Now'.

All the members of Free had bags of talent and, considering they were only around for about five years they wrote a disproportionate number of great songs.

It's hard to believe that the bassist, Andy Fraser, was (I think) only 15 when the band formed.

Fraser had some fantastic bass lines. The live version of Mr Big, famously, has that bit where the lead break changes from Kossoff over to Fraser.

If you don't already know this track check it out. 'Walk In My Shadow". Brilliant!

And what more do I need to say about Koss that I've not already said many times before?......

P.

EDIT : Wiki is my friend...

The oldest members, Paul Rogers and Simon Kirke, were both just 19 and Kossoff was a mere stripling of 17 summers when they started out.........[scared]

Don't even get me started on FREE! Did you know they were invited to Woodstock? They were touring the US at the time and refused to cancel already booked gigs that were much smaller. Prolly not the best career move in hindsight. Great freakin' band. [thumbup]

Archived