Gibson Brands Forums

Nice use of a Hummingbird

Mojorule

While scrolling through John Fullbright songs to relieve the boredom of a major funding application (tell us the meaning of life, the universe and everything in 1000 characters - and no, '42' will not be a sufficient answer), this came up. Never heard of them. But they are really fantastic. The Hummer is rather nice too, though I have a sneaking feeling that the Tele is the king here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ybFGcM0WLa4

Yeah, a bit hard to hear the Bird in the band setting there Mojo.

I have to say I would not use a HB in a band setting as the mellow nectar would struggle to cut through the mix me thinks. Great in a solo setting as Del so often illustrates, or plugged in as a single guitar from my personal experience.

I think if I was in that band setting I would opt for the AJ or J-150 from my stable to get a bit more cut-through.

However its nice to see Hummingbirds being used, you dont actually see them often out there in a 'professional' environment,

I liked the way Ben Harper used the nectar in the earlier clip we saw recently, the character of the guitar shone a bit more.

Yeah, a bit hard to hear the Bird in the band setting there Mojo.

I have to say I would not use a HB in a band setting as the mellow nectar would struggle to cut through the mix me thinks. Great in a solo setting as Del so often illustrates, or plugged in as a single guitar from my personal experience.

I think if I was in that band setting I would opt for the AJ or J-150 from my stable to get a bit more cut-through.

However its nice to see Hummingbirds being used, you dont actually see them often out there in a 'professional' environment,

I liked the way Ben Harper used the nectar in the earlier clip we saw recently, the character of the guitar shone a bit more.

Well no, it's not showing its full colours in that setting. I think it's plugged in to compete. That said, it doesn't sound bad at all. I detect something Gibson-like and mahogany in any case. Ben Harper's does sound more birdlike, though the fretbuzz/click bugged me there. And I actually thought he'd have sounded better with the J45 you were expecting him to have. Really I like the writing on this song more, and the Bird was an excuse to post. BH did some very 'rock' changes which left me thinking of Eagle-Eye Cherry more than real rootsy stuff. Nice, but didn't quite do justice to Musselwhite's harp for me. This song is real class, and all the instruments have a role - including the Bird, though I agree some other acoustic might have cut it better. (On other videos he uses a J100 or similar.) I've heard BH live long ago, and recognize his monster talent, but also think there is a bit of a '60s-style noodler in him, which is why the choice of a Hummer didn't entirely shock me in his case.

The video is not particularly well mixed, and the 'bird sort of gets lost in the shuffle, along with the harmony vocals.

Even though the 'bird is a nice rhythm guitar in terms of providing a smooth strummed background, it doesn't have the punch this song needs to back up the electric lead.

I think Mark is right that something like an AJ would be better in this setting unless you are going to amplify it directly rather than mic it.

Edit: looking again, I see that it is amp'd. I just think it's a mediocre mixing job, but I still think I'd pick a different guitar for this.

The video is not particularly well mixed, and the 'bird sort of gets lost in the shuffle, along with the harmony vocals.

Even though the 'bird is a nice rhythm guitar in terms of providing a smooth strummed background, it doesn't have the punch this song needs to back up the electric lead.

I think Mark is right that something like an AJ would be better in this setting unless you are going to amplify it directly rather than mic it.

Edit: looking again, I see that it is amp'd. I just think it's a mediocre mixing job, but I still think I'd pick a different guitar for this.

It's surely the mix. Watch the second vid - they don't like to turn him up much, do they? Maybe he's a better banjo player (you should hear their version of 'This Charming Man'), but I still reckon they could give him a bit more room in there, in behind the Tele. It would be even better if they could mic one of the Gibsons, because the mids could do with a boost - whether they be 'honeyed' or a bit more rasping.

Archived