Gibson Brands Forums

A new rose in my garden

Rob_J

I just got a new satin cherry ES335 at a great price. This is my second Gibson 335 after foolishly selling my first one. I plan to keep it as it is for awhile but may eventually polish the body to give it a semi-gloss finish. I did this to a Les Paul Goldtop 50's tribute model and it came out looking great! There's really nothing wrong with the faded cherry look but I think eventually I might be happier with a more glossy finish. I'm not looking for a mirror car show shine - just some not as dull looking as the satin.

Here's the new rose in my garden.

gibs03.jpg

gibs01.jpg

Okay, a couple of questions. First one is concerning serial number and place made. I don't get hung up on this stuff and mostly consider it just interesting trivia, but the sticker inside my new 335 says "Memphis" but the serial number lookup tells me it was made in Nashville. Could it be that there was partial construction done in both cities? Maybe body made in Memphis and final build done in Nashville or something like that? Again, not that it matters - just curiosity more than anything else.

Secondly, I bought this guitar new and when I got it home I checked inside the case pocket and was a little surprised to find it empty. No hang tags, no truss rod wrench, no warranty cards etc. Is this how Gibson sells guitars now? I know that I can register it online, but I would have thought there would be something, if nothing more than some paperwork inside the case. What's up?

Looks great. [thumbup]

I assume you used that guitar dater project website? That site is useless. It was made in Memphis, but if still aren't sure, send Gibson an email with the serial number and ask them.

I know Gibson stopped offering the wrench a little while back but am not sure if they started including it again. Regardless, your guitar should have some sort of paperwork. I may be wrong but I believe all 335s since early 2007 come with a certificate, and if you live in the US, it should have also come with a checklist. Where did you buy it from? Big box stores are notorious for loosing paperwork and not giving you the very same Gibson case your guitar came in.

You should keep in mind that a missing/lost certificate, if yours is supposed to have one, may affect the value by around $100 to $200. I say "may affect" because some people care about it, some don't, and some won't even buy a guitar if the certificate is missing.

Thanks for the info, Tim. I bought it at Guitar Center only because they had it on the floor and I could play it before deciding to buy. It was the only music store within reasonable driving distance that had any 335s in stock. The sales dude had a hard time even locating the case for it. I suppose I could go back and ask about paperwork, but I'm betting they won't be of much help in that regard. I personally don't have any problem with not having a certificate etc, but I understand your point about it possibly affecting resale value if I should ever decide to sell it.

A very nice rose there in your garden.

Great looking 335. Congrats. . B)

Guitar Center is infamous for case mix ups. I've bought guitars at GC. One time I had a situation like yours. They eventually found the COA/paperwork - a miracle as I figured they gave my case to someone else - and they mailed it to me. I would definitely get back with them and find out if they've still got your case sitting around in a stockroom.

That looks similar to my rose garden! Here's the old stock '67 from Kalamazoo without any pedigree papers. Late Summer, this rose was the only one left in the garden store in San Francisco.

DSC06530.jpg

It's true GC is notorious in loosing paper work. I got an SG and the paper work in the case was for another SG...never did got the right paper work.

Archived