Gibson Brands Forums

Serial Numbers

RichG

Hogeye would know the answer and maybe he'll chime in. But until he does I will say that I also own one with a weekend day date stamp and one with a holiday date stamp. I've been told that what probably happened was that the neck was all ready to be stamped on the previous working day but it didn't get stamped for one reason or the other. Since it was all ready to go on the next working day, they just used the date from the previous day, even if that day was a weekend or holiday.

Hogeye would know the answer and maybe he'll chime in. But until he does I will say that I also own one with a weekend day date stamp and one with a holiday date stamp. I've been told that what probably happened was that the neck was all ready to be stamped on the previous working day but it didn't get stamped for one reason or the other. Since it was all ready to go on the next working day, they just used the date from the previous day, even if that day was a weekend or holiday.

That's as good an explanation as any. I have no idea why crap like this interests me. Just another character flaw. [biggrin]

Rich

.... what probably happened was that the neck was all ready to be stamped on the previous working day but it didn't get stamped for one reason or the other. Since it was all ready to go on the next working day, they just used the date from the previous day, even if that day was a weekend or holiday.

Just curious . . . I'm wondering why wouldn't they just use the current date (the date they actually stamped it)?

Just curious . . . I'm wondering why wouldn't they just use the current date (the date they actually stamped it)?

Possibly because the date doesn't represent the stamping date, it represents when the work was done on the guitar to have it ready for stamping. But again, I don't know for sure. Hogeye would know and hopefully he'll comment on it.

Archived