Gibson Brands Forums

is this for real?

vacamartin

Hard to tell from the pictures since the seller does not even include a full shot of the front. I am not even sure what a couple of the photos are supposed to be showing. But if I had to guess based on the finish, bridge, top and back binding, tuners, logo, and such I would say it is an early 1930s L-1.

The second pic of the headstock is very strange. Looks like somebody had been gnawing on it. Looks very different from the earlier shot. I would think it was not the same guitar but even the ferrule on the D string is missing so it might just be the angle the pic was taken at or something.

front. I am not even sure what a couple of the photos are supposed to be showing. But if I had to guess based on the finish, bridge, top and back binding, tuners, logo, and such I would say it is an early 1930s L-1.

The second pic of the headstock is very strange. Looks like somebody had been gnawing on it. Looks very different from the earlier shot.

The top of the second picture is just cut off.

The guitar is for real, but the price is not. Would require a total restoration, and it will never be worth a lot of money.

Pretty sure it's a 1930 or 1931 L-O: 12-fretter, with mahogany top and ebony nut. Obviously needs a neck re-set as well as patches in the top and back. Unfortunately, it will also have to be re-finished, as there is nothing left. I would say restoration would run about $2000-$2500, which would be about what the guitar would be worth when you were finished.

It's just the type of dumb project I would take on, although I've never had a mahogany-top guitar.

Id offer him $5.My interest in it would be to destroy it and get it off the face of the earth.

I think that's a bit harsh. All it needs is a realistic price and a bit of love. I've had guitars restored that I delivered to the luthier in pieces.

Yeah, but from where he is starting, my $300 offer wouldn't go very far.......

Hey Nick, thats monthly 'newspaper money' for a man of your means..... Wall Street Journal , Washington Post and all..... [flapper]

This instrument was out in some weather - also known as a swamper. The wood will be too soft to handle full tuning, no matter what you do, so the only option is a full restoration. The question then is do you want a brand new guitar made out of swamp wood, or something good instead?

Archived