Gibson Brands Forums

Price on a J45 Standard

brannon67

I have two J45 Standards. I want to sell one, and get an Advanced jumbo. I went to GC yesterday, and they had an AJ on sale for $2159. I told them I had a J45 in EX-Mint condition. They said they could give me $1000 for it site unseen. I told them I bet they would or could. I walked out very insulted and got my precious feelings hurt.(just kidding) Anyway, what is a fair trade in price for that guitar, or price if I wanted to sell it out right?

P.S. The reason I was thinking about trading or selling, is to get something a little different(AJ) and I mostly play my older J45 which I bought used and a little beat up, but tone for days.

If there is somewhere where J-45s can be had for $1250, please let me know and I'll seriously consider adding one.

$1500 is the amount that seems to move them at the moment, with those at $1600 sitting for awhile longer. Even the local 5-star Gibson dealer had their used J-45 for $1500.

It is a depressed market. But I haven't seen it as depressed as some on this board have seen. But if someone could find me an SJ or a J-45 for less than $1500 I might need to shake some change out of the sofa cushions.

Don't look at what people are asking on eBay. Look at what they sell for....

Near new and excellent plus condition it's probably hard to find less than 1500. But remember a few years ago these had minimum advertised price of 1999 and could be bought new for 1500 or so.

Sure, but a few years ago is a few years ago. Now the MAP appears to be $2199 or so... because Gibson looks at a slow economy and says raise prices.

But then they issued the J-35, which can be had new for around $1450 if you ask nicely.

My local GC just had a used J-45 in good condition but it wasnt mint selling it for 1500.

Maybe you could advertise it on AGF or somewhere for trade for an AJ?

Thats an idea. I just may do that. If I could find someone with a good AJ in EX/Mint shape, I would consider a trade.

If there is somewhere where J-45s can be had for $1250, please let me know and I'll seriously consider adding one.

I got a NM 2005 for $1235 last fall. You just have to find a motivated seller. Mine's a great guitar, and not for sale. ;)

$1200 - $1600 depending who you are selling it to, but you are likely doing well if you can get $1450.

Right. Keep in mind you can probably pick up a new one for 17. To me it's worth it to pay a couple hundred more to get a warranty and brand new guitar. Used probably wouldn't attract me unless it was under 1300.

Check prices on eBay, you can sort by sold and look see the actual sale price. It appears that current models are between $1,600-$2,000. Also look at the used guitars at GC for an idea on their selling price. Depending on the year and shape, j45 can be bought between $1,100 to $2,000. Given new prices, I am not sure why anyone wild pay more than $1,500 for a used guitar without a warranty when we can be found under $2,000. IMO

Archived