Gibson Brands Forums

The M Word

brannon67

You're missing a big and very obvous point Jerry.

If you go to UMGF you will get Martin perspective primarily from Martin players. When you ask for a Martin perspective on the Gibby forum you get it from the Gibson owners perspective. Completely different angle, and hence one that is worthy discussing on the Gibson forum without being harrassed for doing so. Clear ?

btw: I just noticed BBG said the same thing after posting, so make that the two of us.

The difficulty with this tortured logic is that everybody here who is also into Martin, including you, also posts on UMGF. Given that, it makes a whole lot of sense to post Martin queries on the Martin board. When someone else has the same question about Martin, they can search and find the discussion on the Martin board, not stuck in Gibson Acoustic. The thing is there are a whole lot of guitar brands but only one Gibson. If we start discussing all those other brands here, the Gibson posts will get lost. I suggest everything in its proper place.

Please note that no posts have been censored, no one has been flamed, and all posts suggesting Martin queries are best posted on UMGF have been unfailingly polite.

edit:

I do wish that they would create a bulletin board section called "Gibson Acoustic Community" or some such where all the OT posts could go, leaving this area to be analogous to the D-28 lounge.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a really good balance on this forum. Probably 90% of the discussion is about Gibson guitars, people who play Gibsons, singing, songwriting, etc. The other 10% is about non-Gibson guitars, which may well interest a lot of people here.

I don't see any tendency to turn this into anything but the Gibson acoustic forum, and occasional questions about or comparisons with other brands of guitars can be pretty interesting.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Agree - the balance is fine. To make Martin a tabu would be silly. To forget this is Gibson territory would be too.

The difficulty with this tortured logic is that everybody here who is also into Martin, including you, also posts on UMGF.

I have a great deal of respect for Martins and have been playing them for ages - don't post overthere though.

Thanks for the oppotunity to clear this up. (not that I think it's important)

You're missing a big and very obvous point Jerry.

If you go to UMGF you will get Martin perspective primarily from Martin players. When you ask for a Martin perspective on the Gibby forum you get it from the Gibson owners perspective. Completely different angle, and hence one that is worthy discussing on the Gibson forum without being harrassed for doing so. Clear ?

btw: I just noticed BBG said the same thing after posting, so make that the two of us.

As I mentioned:

Please note that no posts have been censored, no one has been flamed, and all posts suggesting Martin queries are best posted on UMGF have been unfailingly polite.

Still, I knew it would only be a matter of time before someone would point to this conversation and claim it as proof that 'anybody who so much as mentions Martin will get reamed out'. Having a different opinion from you constitutes harassment, apparently.

As I mentioned:

Still, I knew it would only be a matter of time before someone would point to this conversation and claim it as proof that 'anybody who so much as mentions Martin will get reamed out'. Having a different opinion from you constitutes harassment, apparently.

Have no idea what you're talking about. What has this to do with my earlier post which you chose to highlight ?

Jerry, look back at the thread from last week "WHM likes the new J45" to better understand the discord on this thread. You will recall several members here trashed WHM's post on the AGF and him as well. Several comments to the effect he's a blowhard and no one else's opinion on a guitar matters. And, of course, the cliche-mantra "you have to play it yourself". Since then , there have been three or four posts asking members here their opinion on certain guitars, including this one. So, we have all come to realize that no matter what opinion you might post here, and no matter how politely, there will be some who jump in and take offense. The amusement comes from seeing how strong the criticism becomes, and from which branches of our Forum Tree.

The irony here is that shortly after this thread started soliciting opinions on Martins, it appears the OP started another in which he asked for advice on a trade and, based on the responses here, went forward and traded one of his guitars for a .... Wait for it... A J35!

Can't we all just get along? ( insert sarcasm emoticon here)

There's 'm's and then there are 'M's":

Some beauties from Dream guitars with Al Petteway picking them - watch the videos:

http://www.dreamguit...in_00018_56653/

http://www.dreamguit...tin_om28_49940/

http://www.dreamguit...rtin_d18_68922/

I have posted Gibsons that they had for sale previously and a National - I love all nice acoustic guitars really.

BluesKing777.

Archived