Gibson Brands Forums

Which j45...a little help

jchadn

Biggest guitar regret...selling my J45 HCS a few years back. Time for a new one. My dream guitar is the Brad Paisley...but it's pretty far out of my range. I play mostly with a band. I like guitars that are a little older because I like character especially for a writing guitar but sometimes they are not structurally sound enough for play with a band. So... Newer standard or newer rosewood or the 1994 Western that I have the opportunity to buy. Go!

I think you need to weigh all of your options and see which one appears to be the one that works best. Get an idea of how long it will be to save-up the bucks for the Paisley J45. If that works-out okay for you and your band schedule, then maybe that's what you should do. The only problem is that the Paisley J45 isn't easy to find and demo. The standard j45 and a rosewood one are a choice between mahogany and rosewood. I've got a standard and I think over the last several days I've reached a point where I truly believe that it's the warmest and most mellow sounding guitar I've ever owned. Plugged-in or unplugged, this guitar has such a sweet and easy-on-the-ears tone. It's an absolute joy to play. Don't think I've played a rosewood J45, only heard one being played, so I really can't give a decent opinion on that one. What I do know is that those who own one speak very highly of it, and with rosewood I imagine it has a bit more volume. Never played a Western that I'm aware of, so I really can't help you there either......Don't know how much this helps you...lol.....Any of these guitars will be a great choice. The only question for me would revolve around getting to play a Paisley J45 before I bought it. Good luck, my friend.

I would not lose too much sleep over the "sturdy" thing. I and many others gig with guitars that are 80 and more years old. As long as they are in good condition they seem to hold up just fine. The only consideration it to make sure you have a good newish case to tote them around in.

The only criteria for buying a guitar that I know of is do you like it and can you afford it. I do agree with an above post that often the best policy is to have a bit of patience. If the guitar you really want is a bit elusive and costly take some time and put away your pennies while on the hunt. There was a certain guitar that I been wanting for years. It is a hard to find instrument and when one did pop up it was generally at a cost that was more than I was willing to spend. It took a while - a long while -- but I did get one and after a bit o' cash being laid out for some needed repairs it still came in at about 1/2 the price I have seen them go for. But had I jumped on another model by the same builder I would not have had the cash to snag the one I really wanted when the opportunity arose.

The Brad Paisley J-45 is one LOUD guitar. Sounds like a bonecrusher to me. But that guitar has one heck of a small nut. I couldn't play it all. If your heart is set on a J45 I recommend the rosewood. I used one of those J45 rosewood customs for a while. It mic'd really well and was pretty articulate over the mix. And if you can get pass the dice on the PG, the Honky Tonk Deuce is a really good guitar. I have one and its a strong workhorse. It has rosewood sides as well. And you can pick both of these guitars up in the used market pretty reasonably.

I've played the Paisley and it sounded/felt great. I've played them all... Leaning toward the 1994 J45 Western, mostly because of the price/mojo combination... Of course I know the Paisley will be worth something for years to come...or so I think. The Rosewood is probably my favorite sounding unplugged but I know Rosewood plugged in live can be a bear in terms of feedback. Hmmm... I think I just talked in a circle. Yep...pretty sure I did! That's the problem when most J45s are just killer!

If the J-45 Western is the one at Elderly it has been there awhile, been on hold twice & is still there. I haven't played it but a friend did & he thought it sounded 'good but not that loud but maybe it would open up with more playing'. That is not a glowing recommendation in my book for a '94 but wasn't my ear, just passing it on. He did say it was near mint.

If you are in MI check out the J-45 std version at GC Saginaw: it as a very big sounding J & I play a great AJRI.

Archived