Gibson Brands Forums

Acoustic and vocal mic?

powerpopper

no' date=' you've got it nailed. a 58 is all you need live but in the studio you should use condensers.[/quote']

I have a couple of condensers for recording. A Sterling something or other that I got really cheap at GC (I hear it's their brand) and a Rode NT-1A.

One guy was recommending the Sennheiser e935 for male vocals, but he plays in a noisy band while I'm just trying to mix my voice with acoustic guitar.

By the way dude, I stopped by your MySpace page and listened to your tunes the other night. You write some awesome stuff! I especially liked the one...something about your sister or something...sorry won't cut it? Keep rockin', man! I really like it.

I've an 8yr old, battered and bruised SM58 that I won't go onstage without. I have used it for over 1000 shows and have performed with it everywhere from a 30 capacity bar in Bridport through the Royal Albert Hall holding 3500, to 10,000 people at Liverpool Echo Arena this year. It is the only live vocal mic you will ever reasonably need.

We had this same thread recently and many of us recommended the Sennheiser e835.

Shure microphones are good' date=' and widely used, but the Sennhieser offers more position options while still reproducing the voice clearly and effectively. With a clip, mine was well under $150.

Sennheiser microphone - details here. . .

Thanks, this one had been recommended too. But while we're on the subject of Sennheisers, has anyone got experience with the e945? Seems to get good reviews, but I wonder if it's worth the extra cabbage. Or the Shure Beta 87A?

But to your point, ballcorner, it looks like a good number of folks are using the Sennheisers with good results when paired with the Fishman SoloAmp, which I will be using it with.

Sennheiser 835S is what I go, (on off switch model, so you don't inadvertently comment on the size of the girl's eyes to your band mate when you think the mic is off) I was going to get the SM58, but was told by a pro musician that the Senn is much more rugged and is higher quality. They were on sale when I bought a couple of years ago, and was roughly the same price as the SM58, so I went with it, really good sound......

Archived