Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson LG-2 American Eagle reissue

Jerry K

I see that there is a 2013 LG-2 reissue called American Eagle. (Why American Eagle?) It seems to be the small body equivalent of the new J-35 reissue: clear mahogany, plain look, low price point. I suppose you could probably get a new one for around 15 bills. Anyone played one yet? I like this size. There is some material on the Gibson site but it does not mention bracing style.

I have played for some 5 min. There is one in the shop of my local Gibson dealer. The body is small, the scale is short, the sound is very loud for that small body. Very responsive instrument. Yesterday when I bought my J 35 I looked again the LG-2. Guys, I would not call her Eagle... This is rather a "Falcon Buzzard".

The prise here is higher than the prise of the J35 (don't know why). About 2020USD.

I dont know how the folks in the shop will manage to sell this instrument... This small body is not for sale here in my lands.

Jerry, I just picked up an LG-2 at the Homecoming. (it's being shipped home as we speak) Never thought to aske why the "American Eagle" tag was added. I chose it over the J-35 because it has a more throatier bark. (a blues and vintage tone) As to where the J-35 is kind of like a J-45 with a little more "jingle" in the tone. While on the factory tour I got a picture of the top and back bracings. I'll post pics when I get home tonight. In the meanwhile, you can go to Youtube and look up MusicVilla.com and Tony does a review of the LG-2. As luck would have it, the one he's playing in the video is the same one I bought.

It looks like they are using tusq nut on these economy models like J-35 and LG-2. This is ok for me (you can just replace it when you get a setup if tusq seems too bright). I am starting to get on board with the idea of some low cost Gibson acoustics. They are very much in the spirit of the early L-00's as a plain, un-ornamented instrument at a popular price which is otherwise the same build as the pricier models.

I played one last week and was plesantly surprised. The playability was excellent (for me ... that's really subjective) and the tone was very good and better than I expected. Looks? Well that's also subjective but I like the natural finish. One might want to add a pickguard ..... but it is not really necessary unless one is hard on that portion of the top.

All in all, another good value from the folks in Bozeman! Seriously consider it if you are in the market for a small body.

Just to clarify. This guitar is not a "reissue" of an LG2, or of any LG series Gibson. The body shape is slightly different, mainly due to the wider lower bout and the narrower upper. Reminds me of how Gibson changed the dread body with the Songwriter series.

Just to clarify. This guitar is not a "reissue" of an LG2, or of any LG series Gibson. The body shape is slightly different, mainly due to the wider lower bout and the narrower upper. Reminds me of how Gibson changed the dread body with the Songwriter series.

Oh dear, somehow that leaves me feeling less enthusiastic. Leave it to Gibson marketing to build a mini-songwriter and call it an LG-2! What are the measurements for upper bout, waist and lower bout? The original LG-2 had a 14 1/8" lower bout.

Yeah...kind of the same materials and specs of the J-35, why would it be more costly??? Is the top wood different? Tuners??....hmmmm

Cost has nothing to do with it. The lower price of the J-35 is driven by market penetration strategyp, not production costs: they wanted a (traditional-Gibson-ish) guitar that would sell for around $1500, and the J-35 is what they came up with.

-- Bob R

Cost has nothing to do with it. The lower price of the J-35 is driven by market penetration strategyp, not production costs: they wanted a (traditional-Gibson-ish) guitar that would sell for around $1500, and the J-35 is what they came up with.

-- Bob R

That has been my surmise from the moment I realized that the 35 was priced way below 45. I already knew the 45 did not really make a profit.

So what's the scoop on this new 'American Eagle' body? Looking at the pics it doesn't look like the LG-2, which had upper and lower bouts almost the same. Where did this come from? How come on the Gibson website they say the body is LG-2/B-25?

I haven't played one so of course I have no comment on how they sound. Possibly they are a great new model. However I wish marketing would show more respect for the company's history and traditions and not get the model names all mixed up as they have several times in recent years.

Thanks Jack! Long time no see. That looks like could be forward shifted (AJ/TV) style bracing. Is it? Am I imagining things or is the shape a bit different from an older LG-2? I am actually pretty interested in this model because small flat tops are nice and responsive for jazz oriented material and finger style.

Hey Jerry! Missed you at the Homecoming. Looks like forward shifted AJ style bracing to me. From the reviews I've read on this guitar it seems to be more or less based on the LG-2 and not a true a remake. Kind of like an upgraded or modernized version. Not sure how she stands up to a real LG-2 but I was never really impressed with the Blues King or the Robert Johnson model but I like the LG-2 American Eagle a lot.

Archived