Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Melody Maker Explorer shape

buliwyf

OK I figured I ask before I unstrung and took off the pick guard,does anyone know if the route under the pick guard of my MM explorer is large enough to add a neck pickup to the guitar or is it solid maple under the guard.

Ok to explain I love the sound,feel and looks of my white MM explorer it seriously kicks butt and I was thinking of adding either a single coil or a P90 as a neck pickup,if there was already a route there.Also putting a tone knob where the input is and placing the input maybe on the side of the guitar.Also adding a 3 way switch.Can anyone tell me if this would be possible,if not I'll open it up myself and let youall know which it is.Thanks.

It is not, I'm fairly certain. Trouble is, it may not be deep enough to accomodate a pickup at that point. Prolly better off saving your money and buying an Explorer.

rct

Thanks all but it was something I thought I could do my self but with the picture Rabsincluded I dont think so.I was hoping their would be room for a single coil for the neck but the route looks way small.Well it was a thought but no complaints from me the guitar sounds killer the was it is.Thanks all.

How do you guys like those MM Explorers?

Looks like a great way to add an explorer without breaking the bank.

NHTom

The only actually "great" way to add an Explorer is by breaking the bank.

rct

yeah..........that's what I figured........lol.

Funny how if you crave a Les Paul, you have affordable options like studios, juniors, specials, etc.........but explorers, not so much.

NHTom

Funny how if you crave a Les Paul, you have affordable options like studios, juniors, specials, etc.........but explorers, not so much.

NHTom

There was the faded series that were cheaper.. both in Vs and Explorer shapes..

But your right.. not so many options.

NHTom

Some things were just meant to be delightfully luxurious big ol' well balanced hunks of really really exquisitely put together and perfectly painted and awesome neck'd and just GREAT grinding overdriven Gibson sounding. Like my Explorer. The MMs I've tried, maybe halfa dozen, not so much. Ok, not at all, there, I said it.

rct

"delightfully luxurious big ol' well balanced hunks of really really exquisitely put together and perfectly painted and awesome neck'd and just GREAT grinding overdriven Gibson sounding"

Uh huh.....PERFECT description of my 85 explorer......so I'd be disappointed parking a melody maker next to it.........point taken.

lmao.......best description in a long time

NHTom

I was actually very close to buying a Kramer with the Tiger striped finish on it,like George Lynch at Sam Ash.As they were setting it up (It was unplayable) I was waiting and noticed the MM explorer and hell you have to try all the guitars you have a chance to.I was blown away with the MM like I said the PU was killer and it just to me looked and sounded amazing.The Kramer turned out to have a very wide neck with a fat radious shape so with my smaller hands I just didnt like it.They were about the same price and getting a Gibson that I really liked for a decent price with a soft explored shaped case was a no brainer. I have only ever had one explorer before and it was one of the origional Gothics with Orville's picture on the back of the head stock and the 500t and 496r ceramic pickups,what a monster plus the Gothic Vee to go along with it.Like a serious idiot I sold them and good luck finding one now they seemed to have disapeared. Wow I found one photo of my Gothic Gibson Explorer and I had forgot I had a set of Zakk Wylde EMG's sitting around and I put them in my Explorer.I'm seriously looking for a LP at the moment but I seriously dig the Explorer shape and feel.

MVC-044S.jpg

Archived